Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

GXW4104 not registered after idle for a few hours

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by neville, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neville

neville New Member

I have the latest 3CX build using a GXW4104 for analog phone lines. I am in the testing phase so it sits idle for a few hours at a time. Every morning, the ports/status page shows the device is not registered. The only way to get it to reregister is to power the GXW4104 down and back up. I have tried restarting services and rebooting the 3CX box with no luck. I am unable to use the reboot on the GXW4104 management page.

I followed the setup instructions supplied on the website and everything looks ok. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

A few items -

Does the GXW have a static IP? If not, you should set it so that it does. It could be that it is set to DHCP, without a reservation, and getting a new IP upon lease expiration. Ultimately, it would/should re-register, but maybe you are simply catching it at the right times. This would explain why it seems unresponsive.

Which firmware is running in the GXW? There is a release from February and I am using that one and one prior without any issue on a number of units.

If you are not using the GXW LAN side of the in-built switch, you may want to try and hook up to that side while the device is running correctly and ensure that you can communicate with it. Then when and if the device does its trick again, try and see if LAN side access is still available, while not rebooting or altering the GXW's condition, which should give you more insight. If LAN access is working while the WAN side is unressponsive, then at least you know the firmware is still running and more than likely will be able to isolate.

3. neville

neville New Member

The unit has a static IP.

Hardware Revision: Main-- 2.0 Rev A Part Number-- 966-00003-20A
    MAC Address: 00:0B:82:36:91:91
    IP Address: Static
    Product Model: GXW4104
    Software Version: Program--1.3.4.13 Loader--1.1.3.4 Boot--1.1.3.2

Using only the LAN side. Access is available on the unit when it is showing not registrated.

The only way to get it to reregister is to power cycle the unit. I can get to it via web browser, but the reboot button will not reboot the unit.

4. lneblett

Not sure about any of your settings. Does it make and receive calls when functional? Also, turn off any of the automatic checks for firmware and configuration and see if that helps. If you get a chance post the settings you have as it may provide a clue. I had an FXS device with some similar issues and it turned out to be that it was trying to upgrade, but couldn't. In your case, you are running latest FW, so such should not be an issue, but it would not hurt just to see.

5. neville

neville New Member

I believe I identifed the problem. I had a couple of numbers blacklisted. I was running wireshark and verbose logging. It seems from the two that each time a blacklisted number was rejected, something would happen to the gateway and it would stop communicating to the 3CX. I removed the blacklist and it has not failed since.

To solve the original issue, I used a DID caller ID and send the call to an digital receptionist, make a non solicitor announcement and disconnect the call.

6. lneblett

Wow, now that's interesting. Did you happen to capture the message that 3CX sent back to the GXW? Gransdtream also has a forum and it might be beneficial to post your findings there in the hopes that their team will investigate further. If true, then maybe they can come up with a fix. My fear is that I don't manage all my clients to this degree and I suppose that some might just enter a blacklist on their own and I would never have thought to look at this like you did.

Out of curiosity. how many lines were connected at the time? My understanding is that when blacklisted, the caller will not ring through 3CX. I am wondering if this is somehow holding the line open at the 4104. Did you have silence detection for disconnect applied?

I have another install this week which will use a 4108 and if time allows, I will test this out. In any event, good catch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.