GXW4104 your experience

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by AldoLinares, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AldoLinares

AldoLinares New Member

Do you use this Grandstream device as your PSTN gateway?

How is your voice quality?

Thanks

2. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I have a client using this for the past 3 months and other than the occasional lock up it's good for the price. I would not run a busy office on it. Emergeny backup lines or a small office with low traffic I think it would be just fine.
    AudioCodes or Patton are better and of course more expensive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AldoLinares

AldoLinares New Member

RobLloyd thanks for responding.

The issues that i have is that i get strange noises, very little delay and clipping. i have ask this question to many people but i never got a straigt answer is happening to you to? is it normal?

I would like to know if someone have a good gateway that works exactly as any old PBX that you can talk at both times or no problems at all.

the one i have works fine but only the strange noises that i have are the problem.

4. carlosar

Hello Aldo,
    I have exactly the same problem. But worse because when I make international calls the problem get worse and the calls get muted for less than a second. I'ts a nightmare. I've been talking to people at grandstream but they still didn't Fix the problem jet. I sent you a message. If you write me back I'll send you all the mails that they sent me so maybe it would help you too. But if you have any solution please let me know.

5. bluefox8080

bluefox8080 New Member

Hi,

Yes, I would say the Grandstream is not the very best in the call quality department.
    I do get some clipping and fades when both parties talk at the same time.

However, if I set the "Voice Frames per TX:" to a value 3 or 4 on G711under the Advanced Tab on the Grandstream it seems the provide much better voice quality.
    If I set it to the maximum for G711 of 10, I do get a delay in the voice

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. scu

scu

I don't have a problem with voice quality on mine (GXW-4104), what our biggest and only problem is, when it gets busier in the office, calls successively get cut off prematurely. Is there someone who can email screenshots of their configuration pages if you are not experiencing this kind of problem? The only workaround to these call drops is to hard reboot the unit, which is not wise enough to handle for our people in the office everyday. Please send me an email at scubadiba@yahoo.com. Thanks.

7. bluefox8080

bluefox8080 New Member

Do the call get cut off while you are talking or while you are kept on hold?

8. scu

scu

While talking ...

9. bluefox8080

bluefox8080 New Member

Weird,
    Are you also using the standard G711 Codec? If not, what codec do you use?
    Is your Grandstream and power supply well ventilated (cool)?
    Lastly, have your tried a new power supply.

I sounds like you get a hang when a 4 channels are busy. This will increase the onboard CPU activity and thus raise temperature and also require more AMPS from the power supply. It might very well be the actual power supply that is faulty.

10. carlosar

Well I already have the delay in the onversations, I don't know if I increase this parameter it would be worse, I will do it anyways to test it.
    Thanks

11. scu

scu

Hi Bluefox,
    I used the default settings for the preferred codec.
    The options are only:
    Choice 1 -PCMU
    Choice 2 -PCMA
    Choice 3 -G.723.1
    Choice 4 -G.729A/B
    Choice 5 -GSM
    There are no other choices in the drop down menus, unless there's a way to replace those choices with G711, can you tell me?

There's more than enough cooling and ventilation for the unit. About the power supply, I don't think that's where the problem lies.. because it is very noticeable that the call drops only happen when the gateway receives several successive calls already and when it is hard rebooted, it is fine again, but again, when it gets busier, the problem comes back.

We only use only two PSTN lines at the moment. As for the power supply, it is attached to a UPS/AVR with 600 watts rating.

12. carlosar

Hello Bluefox,
    The thing is I already have a delay in the Gateway, and I have the TX frames at 2, ok I'll chage it to prove it but it seems that I have to change something else. Maybe changing some gains and dB at the channel voice settings?
    Thanks and regards!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.