HA Active/Active setup

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by imseanbrown, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imseanbrown

Greetings colleagues -

I am attempting to setup Active/Active HA setup, but all of the directions are not very well written and have have the following questions:

1. I have a fully operational PBX01 running with my own FQDN.
    2. I need to install a secondary PBX02 and create the HA active/active configuations.

I am running into the following problems:
    1. When I install 3CX on the second system and select RESTORE from back (not a new installation). It keeps updating my static IP in the customer.3cx.com portal (I have one pub IP for PBX01 and a different for PBX02).
    2. Is there a way to re-register PBX01 in the customer portal without having to release the FQDN, then have to do a full install all-over....

Please advise.... I want to be able to have dual registrations and calls seamless come in to which ever PBX.

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @imseanbrown

Please note that there is no Active/Active setup for 3CX failover. You can only configure it as active/ passive.
    After you restore the backup to the failover server and enable failover then you need to restart the system service service on the Active server so the FQDN re-registers to that IP.
    All info needed can be found in the following article
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/failover/

3. imseanbrown

4. imseanbrown

https://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/3cx-high-availability-system-active-active/

5. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

That link is from 2012 and requires you to have 2 separate 3cx licences. That'll probably still work if you're willing to pay for double licences ! I find the active / passive setup works great and doesn't require 2 licences, although I would suggest an enterprise licence for HA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    David Forster likes this.
  6. David Forster

So to clarify in an active/passive setup do I need the enterprise license, I'm not requiring auto failover, I manage my own FQDN so can switch this myself if needs be. Is having two servers running (so that backups are auto restored) OK on a Pro license or will my license get locked by doing this?

Thanks, Dave.

7. JasonNadeau

JasonNadeau Member

It'll work. Each time you switch from active to passive and vice versa it'll be as if you just reactivated your licence on a new machine though and eventually will get locked. The threshold of getting the licence locked is higher with enterprise.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    David Forster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.