• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

HA (Failover) and Private IP Addressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayNZ

Bronze Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hey Team,

I've been using 3CX for many years, but I'm about to put in my first 3CX Enterprise System which will use HA and in all honesty I just can't get my head around this!

What I need to understand in order to design the HA is if the Private IP Address of the 3CX server stays the same between the two servers. I appreciate the Public IP must be different and we're using NAT which all makes sense, however if we're using the same Firewall but with two Public IP's, then I can't have a rule to go to the same IP even if the machines are using 192.168.10.1 but on separate VLAN's as an example.

How does this all work?

Thanks for your time 3CX Guru's!

Cheers,
Jay

Hello @JayNZ

Please find the guide regarding the failover here. Please let me know if any clarifications are needed.

What I need to understand in order to design the HA is if the Private IP Address of the 3CX server stays the same between the two servers.

The private IP of the servers should not be the same, the phones should be provisioned using an FQDN. You then need to control your local DNS server and switch the DNS entry to the private IP of the active server. Once the failover is triggered a script will be launched which will switch the local DNS entry to the failover servers local IP.

Thank you for the reply. I have already reviewed the guide prior to posting here but still do not have a complete understanding of the failover configuration.

The way in which our customer will access the solution will be via Multiple SBC’s which will cover each of their physical locations. Nobody will be able to communicate directly with the PBX which will be located back in a data centre away from the customers own network thus my question on private IP addresses.

Perhaps I should ask instead, when setting up the scheduled restore of the nightly backup to the standby server, will this not overwrite the Private IP address of the standby server?

Thanks again,
Jay Haines

It will not overwrite the private IP address,

The only thing that gets updated is your FQDN to the active 3CX wan IP address

Your remote setup will point to your FQDN, so when the transfer takes place there will still work as the FQDN will have been updated

Hi Saqqara,

That's terrific thank you. I weren't too sure what the impact of restoring the backup would have each night. It's great to know this doesn't alter any networking elements of the standby server!

Thank you kindly,
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.