Handle multiple calls on a single line? Chanels?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Ralph, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Ralph

Ralph Member

I need some guidance re using mutiple lines and channels.

First let me say I know what happens when you assume.. you make an a__ out of U and ME. :lol:

I have been under the assumption that in order to handle multiple calls I would need multiple lines from a VOIP provider.

I also thought that for an incomming call to a busy line to be transferred to an alternate line I would need to have a VOIP provider that supported hunt groups or could roll the call to another line in my account.

I recently recieved a message from a VOIP provider that said:

Could somone shed some light on this for me? I understand that 3CX can transfer calls when an extension is busy but, can the 3CX software transfer the call to another line if the incomming line is busy? Also what are channels and how are they used?

Thanks again for all the patience and help.

2. silentfun

silentfun Member

no 3cx pbx can not reroute the call if you incomming did channel capacity is reached. and i think atm there is no way that any pbx can do this to manage this they have to create new protokols that inform the provider where they have to route the call to if the channel capacity is reached.

ok here we are at the "channel capacity" this is how many calls at the same time cour did can manage.

if you rent a did you mostly get 1 or to channels but many did providers sell additional channels so you can manage to get more calls over the same did at the same time. for example you rent 10 channels.

3. Ralph

Ralph Member

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the information. This channel thing has opened up a whole new world of capabilities for me :shock: .

Gotta go re-compute this project again now :D

Thanks again

4. dyntech

dyntech New Member

Ralph,
    It depends on who your provider is most of the big names allow one channel per did/line. Others will allow more than one channel per did. I use a smaller local provider that claims they do not limit the number of channels per did/line.

It all comes down to who you use and what you pay for.

Mike

5. webguyz

webguyz New Member

I am interested in this as well so I sent an email to vitelity.com sales and asked them about simultaneous inbound calls. This is not for the unlimited plan but rather for the toll free 800 plan (2 cents a minute and 50 cents per month which I think is still a good deal).
    -----------------------------
    Posted by vcbaf from vitelity.com sales on 2007-07-20 16:17:20
    Our inbound toll free has a limit of 10 calls. This can be changed by request in the ticket system. Please let me know If I can answer any more questions for you at this time.
    -------------------------------

Since we are a small company only 1 person will ever be 'talking' at a time, but I don't want multiple inbound customers to get a busy signal (like when servers die) but rather hit 3CX and hear a pre-recorded message telling them we have a service interruption.

6. nahidul

Hello dyntech.

Would it be possible to send me the info of the provider who does not limit channels? You can send me an E-Mail if you want at NAHID@nahid.ca . Thanks in advance for help.

7. dyntech

dyntech New Member

Go to http://www.vortexbb.com and look at their Business plan.

8. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

webguyz

I also use vitelity amung others.

You will simply have multiple incoming calls ringing into 3cx. What you are asking about service interruption cannot happen. You state that if servers die you would like calls to come to 3cx and hear a pre-recorded message that you are experienceing a service interuption. I would like to know if the server dies, and 3cx is on that server, how do you propose it to answer the call and play the recorded message.

In vitelities control panel you can specify an alternate number to call during network outages. This is in the routing for any particular DID. You can also setup mailboxes on vitelities system, and while I have never tried this, you could probably fail-over to a voicemail box on their system as a result of routing kicking in due to a network outage. Boy that was a mouthful. I am going to be looking into that myself.

9. webguyz

webguyz New Member

All our servers are monitored 7x24 and the pbx is just like any other box. We dedicated a spare box in the data center to the pbx so we would know within a few minutes if the pbx was inaccessible or one of the pbx services died. I have a gsm modem that attaches via USB and toying with the idea of setting it up to initiate a test call to the pbx every 6 hour or so to make sure it answers but thats for another day.

I did enable Vitelitys voice mail in the hopes that if our data center was totally down and all phone service was interupted the caller would at least hear something and not assume we went out of business. Haven't had a chance to check it yet but will this weekend. Until our 800 number gets ported we won't start really using the PBX.