Handling multiple lines/identities on one phone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mrclassic, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrclassic

I'm looking for a solution how to best handle multiple lines/identities on one phone using 3CX.

Currently I'm using Linksys SPA phones on which I can configure up to 4 SIP accounts.

It should be possible to distinguish between these numbers:

# 10 = Internal number of the Employee
    # 5551212 = Company 1 public number (rings on multiple phones)
    # 5551515 = Company 2 public number (rings on multiple phones)

Do I really need to set up 3 extensions to achieve this or is there a way I can only configure one extension per phone (i.e. the Internal Number) and when a call comes in you see on the display what number originally was called ?

2. Powermage

Powermage New Member

We are experiencing the 'same' problem here, when we use a DiD (replace the incomming number with an name) we can see the incomming line / company but we loose te caller id. is there any solution except create an extra extension that we can add for every incomming line we use.

3. BJReplay

BJReplay New Member

I just set up multiple extensions on one phone, and when I was happy with the config, applied it to each additional phone, changing just the extension.

It's not perfect, but our staff know that if the bottom three lines light up, it is an external call coming into our "head office" numbers for Melb, Syd or Bris - so they don't just answer "yep".

Most users also have a direct number (with MyNetFone in aus) that costs nothing, and rings their extension only.

I also find that I can see at a glance if it is an external call from which LED is glowing red, without having to read the display - this allows me to ignore an internal call if I'm talking to someone, and if it is an external call, have a closer look. Showing the caller's Caller ID against each line also allows us to choose to answer calls to our Brisbane office in Melbourne if the caller is not a known caller who regularly calls the Brisbane office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.