• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Handset SIP accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgb2

Free User
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with 3CX and a couple of handsets, and feel like I'm ready to proceed to make the jump from our old system.

Looking at handset options, they typically specify a number of SIP accounts or lines they support. That's obviously important if I'm using multiple SIP lines from an outside provider, but does it make any difference with 3CX in the middle? In other words, with the exception of the handset-specific bells and whistles, is a single-line phone going to work the same as a 6 or 12 line phone?

When used with a PBX, such as 3CX, the line keys on a VoIP set no longer represent SIP accounts to a provider directly, although on some sets, they can if you wish. They instead represent extensions off the PBX. The PBX itself will handle (register) the connections to the SIP provider(s). 3CX becomes the provider, or server to the set. You will then "choose" which SIP provider your call routes out on, using outbound rules in 3CX.

https://www.3cx.com/docs/manual/sip-trunks/

Depending on the set-up, and how the set is going to be used at that location (desk), you may only require a single extension per set, or, you could require several. Any additional calls would require that the first call be placed on hold.
The more line keys, the more options.

Thanks. So let me throw out a couple of use cases and see if I understand how it might work.

1) Receptionist - can have multiple callers in play, but is always going to be placing calls on hold and only talking to a single caller at a time. Standard single extension under 3CX would handle this, correct?

2) Regular user in on call, but wants to conference in another user. Would this scenario require a multi-extension setup, or does 3CX handle all of this?

1) Receptionist - can have multiple callers in play, but is always going to be placing calls on hold and only talking to a single caller at a time. Standard single extension under 3CX would handle this, correct?

Yes, a single extension could handle this, depending on traffic volume, or if a queue were used. In most cases, multiple extension keys would probably be preferable.

2) Regular user in on call, but wants to conference in another user. Would this scenario require a multi-extension setup, or does 3CX handle all of this?

3CX would normally be used to handle a conference, but not in the same manner as a 3-way call on other systems. A second extension appearance (of the primary extension number) would allow a user to take a call, after putting the current call on hold, rather than the call going to voicemail, if that is desirable.

https://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/create-conference-using-desk-phone/
https://www.3cx.com/user-manual/video-conferencing/

On many sets, line keys can be used for other functions, such as monitoring the status of other extensions, and doing transfers. This will vary from set to set.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgb2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.