hang with tunnel profile

Discussion in 'Windows' started by cfive, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfive

cfive Member

Hi,

On a laptop, while on a foreign network, I connect the 3CXPhone to the server with a profile that includes a tunnel, it works.
    I shut down the computer, and travel to my home network. I start my computer at the home network. I start the 3CX phone, but the app hangs forever and must be killed. It doesn't prompt for the profile which includes the local IP.

The only way I can get is started is to edit the phone .ini

I must be missing something?

Thanks - Les.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Les

Before bothering you with logfiles and captures, I will ask to do a simple test:
    from your home computer (the one where voip phone hangs up) from Windows Start menu on the taskbar choose Run and type cmd to open a Windows console. There, please type:
    telnet tunnel_ip tunnel_port
    then press enter. Replace tunnel_ip_or_name and tunnel_port with the ones you used in phone blocking connection (for instance, telnet 127.0.0.1 5090 or telnet valipc 5090).
    Please tell me the time after you get an answer - Answer means console becomes empty (it connected remote tunnel) or get "... connect failed". Also, if you want, try the same test with the PBX address and port (port most probably is 5060).

Regards
    vali

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cfive

cfive Member

I'll give this a go when I get home, and post back.

But fust so we're clear on the behavior:

The 3cx softphone is shut down (as the computer is shut down), with a connected/working tunnel configuration. When the computer is next started, and the softphone is next started, it wants to use the previous connection settings. The connection settings aren't valid for this network connection - the 3cx phone status goes to 'connecting', but the GUI is non-reponsive (not responding in window title). The application must be killed.

As far as I know, the softphone will automatically try to the connection that was previously in use. If the connection isn't valid, it should just say 'not connected', and another connection can be selected, or created. This works fine if the previously selected connection is 'in office' but for some reason the previous connection is 'out of office', with a tunnel configured, the GUI hangs if the connection cannot be made.

Thanks - Les.

4. DeWild1

How long did you give it before you "killed" the app?

5. hades

I have a similar issue, the tunnel keeps loosing the connection to the host.

In the phone this presents as the phone connecting/disconnecting randomly.

In telnet I can get connected to the tunnel almost instantly but after a few secconds get the following in the telnet window...

Code:
    ♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK
    ♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK♦√APK

Connection to host lost.

C:\>
    Any ideas?

6. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

That is normal - some routers and service close the port after you have probed it open for a while - if it sees that you have no business or that you are not sending what it expects, it will close the session. Telnet is just a test to confirm that you have an open listening service and reachable on remote port 5090.

Open the SHOW DEBUG window. If you see a lot of tunnel connected and refused messages one after the other, then this means that the tunnel password you entered in the voip phone does not match the tunnel password set in the 3cx management console Settings/Network/3CXTunnel Tab/Tunnel password.

As for the freezing when you change location, can you specify the version of the 3CX Phone you are using. Can you try with the latest online version available from here?
    http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/3cxphone-4-voip-phone/

This should speed up registration, connection and disconnection in general.

7. hades

I'm using the latest version and have opened all ports as per the documentation.

If I try connecting without the tunnel I get a stable connection but no audio in either direction. Also, when I get an incoming call the phone will not let me answer it, it just keeps ringing even though the phone display shows it as answered.

If I connect via the tunnel option it will now connect intermittantly and when it is connected it seems stable. I had to change the tunnel port from 5090 to 8555 (in both pbx and phone) and this seemed to stabilise the problem a little.

Now I still occasionally get disconnected and when trying to reconnect the phone has the following messages...

Disconnecting...
    Connecting...
    Invalid Pin
    Disconnected

The "Invalid Pin" message only appears for a second or less and nothing has changed in the configuration since I was connected so I don't understand what the problem would be.

The server PC at the office is temporarily DMZ'd in the NAT firewall while we troubleshoot and I have opened the required ports my end. (have tried DMZ this end too).

One other thing to note is that this remote extension is at my home and I have a BT Home Hub with an active BT Broadband Talk account and Hub Phone. Would this impact it at all?

Thanks in advance

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

yes - Are the tunnel passwords the same?

You have to match the tunnel password in the phone (connections / tunnel password ) to that of the management console in Settings / Network / 3CX Tunnel. Those must be the same and the tunnel service must be restarted if a change was made.

Post the tunnel log and the debug log of the voip phone if you still do not work.

9. hades

Yes, the tunnel passwords match. As I said, it has been connected already at this point and no settings have changed.

I'm not working at home today so will test again when I next am and provide the logs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.