• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Hardphone local and remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary2seven

Reaction score
I am new to the 3CX and only just starting my config.

I need to configure a couple of Wi-Fi hard phones that staff are going to use both in the office and from home/on the road.

The idea is they bring the phone with them and therefore have the same extension number wherever they are.

What is the best way to set this up?

Gary.

gary2seven said:
I am new to the 3CX and only just starting my config.

I need to configure a couple of Wi-Fi hard phones that staff are going to use both in the office and from home/on the road.

The idea is they bring the phone with them and therefore have the same extension number wherever they are.

What is the best way to set this up?

Gary.

It will be difficult to have a 'works anywhere' phone because for external phones you will have seperate settings such as outbound proxy and STUN server. I am not sure if there are any wifi phones that allow multiple 'profiles' that you can just select depending on where you are. Mabey Kerry can chime in as he is pretty knowledgable about a lot different vendors phones.

The best option would be to play some DNS tricks if you can. On the internal office network DNS server have something like pbx.companyname.com resolve to an internal IP but out on the internet have pbx.companyname.com resolve to a public IP.

KerryG said:
The best option would be to play some DNS tricks if you can. On the internal office network DNS server have something like pbx.companyname.com resolve to an internal IP but out on the internet have pbx.companyname.com resolve to a public IP.

Sounds like a plan!

Thanks Kerry - I'll let you know how I get on :)

You can put the same extension number on both a phone in the office and a VoIP WiFi phone. Any calls to that number will ring both, if the WiFi phone is connected, and ring , then go to voicemail after the pre-set time if it isn't. Don't forget to set how 3CX bases the busy status of the line, either by set or PBX. Most WiFi VoIP phone will give you voicemail notification. I have found that on some of the models I've used, all have now been discontinued, that after some time, they sometimes seem to loose the connection with the PBX. That possibility, along with limited battery life means that they shouldn't be counted on for extended standby,but great for making calls and checking voicemail. If you have to have the VoIP phones work in the office as well, set up a wireless router with a different public IP, that way no matter where they are the phone will always be seen to be out of the office, no need to change the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.