Having 2 rings when someone is calling: headset+ PC speakers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by EliseHo, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EliseHo

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to set up 3CX on my XP computer...

and I want to be able to hear the ring when someone is calling me in the headset and PC speakers both. Do someone now if it's possible?

Regards,
    ELise

2. EliseHo

Re: Having 2 rings when someone is calling: headset+ PC spea

*know

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Personally, I have not run across a case where this has been done. I think the windows operating system and audio card drivers detect which ports are in play (depending on which OS) and defaults to a single device depending upon what it sees. Hence, why the headset seems to disable the speakers. I guess the assumption is, if one is in use, why would you need the other? You might try the line-out jack and possibly be able to pre-amp to a set of speakers and still use a headset, but I have not tried that approach.

There may also be some software that will allow you to manipulate how sound is delivered. Go to cnet.com to their download section and try searching for audio playbach or other pertinent terminology and you might find something useful.

Others may have done and can steer you (and me) better, but this is my take on it at the moment.

4. yuni

know[​IMG]

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In the case of a laptop, if you insert the headphone jack, it will cut off the speakers, this is a physical switch. The logic being that a user will only want to use one or the other. In the case of a desktop, with an audio card, you generally have one output. What you do with this depends , of course, on what you feed it to. While there are boxes that will allow easy desktop access to a headset socket, they, once again, are usually constructed to cut off any speakers also passing though the device. Having speakers and headphones working, at the same time, means that you will have to flip a switch to cut off the speakers when you put on the headphones to answer a call or risk feedback/echo.

The one way around this is to make use of a bluetooth headset and select the ringing to go to the speakers. In this set-up, the computer uses software to select the audio destination. You may also be able to get this to work using a USB headset, I haven't tried it.

6. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

you could use a mini splitter/Y cable - but like leejor said, this would be both always on at the same time. so when you are about to answer a call, you would want to lower the volume on the speakers.
    this may or may not be convenientm, and then you'd have to remember to turn the volume back up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

On my system, using a USB headset shuts down the speakers.

8. EliseHo

Thank you for your answers!

I am actually using an USB headset and not the jack plug...

9. EliseHo

For information, my headset is a Jabra GN9350

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.