• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Head Scratcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

STCJeff

Reaction score
For anyone who likes mysteries:

We have a small office (3CX 7.1 with a Patton 4114 and Aastra 57i phones), 8 extensions, 4 POTs lines. 3CX is running in a Server 2008 VM that only handles the phones. For the most part it has been rock solid. However, in the last couple of months we have had VERY random incidents of getting emails from people who say they call us and the phone just rings and rings. We don't see the call appear here, although it's so random that I have not been able to be watching the front panel of the Patton when one of these has happened. The logs do not show any of these calls. We have not ever, by dialing in with one or more of our cell phones, been able to duplicate this. The weird part? It's almost always the same people who have the issue. We have one guy who has only successfully called us and gotten through once out of about a dozen attempts in the last 2 months, while 99% of other people have never had the problem (we get around 30-40 calls a day). I'm out of ideas for how to even go about tracking down what's happening. Suggestions? Thoughts? Exorcisms?? :lol:

Is there some sort of commonality amongst the callers, i.e. they're annoying clients that no one likes talking too and hence do not answer :lol:

Sounds strange indeed. I would ask them to try calling in a few times as a test for you, to see if you can replicate the fault if they're willing to do that, most people I find are generally helpful if you reassure them there's no effort involved :roll:

Good luck with your exorcism...

Could they be mis-dialling, do you have a number with a lot of repeating digits or combinations prone to dyslexic mistakes? They don't have your number (incorrectly) programmed on a speed dial key, do they?

I have had this issue to, However it has resulted in services crashing especially the assistant and voice mail service. It doesn't show up in logs, I just login to admin console to find services stopped. As a quick fix I just set the boxs to reboot on patch thursday, and all seems to be well.

Are the clients that are unable to call you located close by?
I would head over there and do some testing if they were close and i had some spare time, especially if you were trying to sell 3CX to them.

I had a customer (potential at the time) who swore black and blue that 3CX was at fault for bad call quality, even on internal calls.
I told him i would come over and not charge him if it was a 3CX fault - i got there to find that he had a HUB with 3CX and all the phones plugged into it.
Needless to say he stopped complaining after replacing the hub with a switch.

Never thought about that, Then again I haven't purchased a hub since Clinton was president.

So here's the deal - after surveying people with issues we narrowed it down to:

Some TMobile callers (as mentioned by someone else in another post)
Callers using a cable-based phone service (Cox, Charter, etc)

As mentioned in the post about TMobile we upgraded the firmware on our Patton 4114 to 5.4 last night (we were on 5.3) and it resolved the problem. Don't exactly know why, but at least it works now!

Now if we could just get it to screen out the irritating clients as suggested above :)

You can setup rules in the "MyPhone" /extension profile on how to handle calls from specific numbers.

I have customers who use it to redirect customers who owe them money straight to the accounts receivable department.

Still waiting to hear why calls from T-Mobile customers aren't getting through until the firmware upgrade. Certain characters in the name display?

Can you PM me the phone #? I'd like to run a line test from my T-mobile device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lars001
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.