• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Hearing DTMF tones while on a call

Status
Not open for further replies.

infonetics

Customer
Reaction score
I have a new installation that is using a Patton 4114 gateway for their 4 POTS lines. While on a call, either outbound or inbound, both parties to the conversation can hear tones as if someone is dialing. Their old system is completely shut down and unplugged, and there are no fire alarms/security systems that are using these lines for anything that may be dialing out. Any ideas?

I have also experienced that on occasion, when talking over PSTN Gateways. What I attribute it to, perhaps incorrectly, is the gateway mistaking a frequency in the voice as a DTMF tone, and then repeating it. I suppose it could also be an ATA, doing the same thing, but sending a SIP message to the gateway, which then generates the DTMF.

Update, I setup a vitelity SIP account on this server and routed all outbound calls through it rather than the Patton, and the problem hasn't occured on those calls. Inbound calls still route through the POTS/Patton, and are still experiencing the problem.

That kind of points to the gateway generating the tone, doesn't it?

I'm not sure what else, other than the keypad on a set, has the ability to generate DTMF.

Google "DTMF Talk-off" , there are a number of sites about this.

Update #2 - I swapped one of the Yealink T26's for a Cisco SPA504G, and the Cisco is not experiencing the problem. I've also upgraded the firmware on the Patton 4114 to the latest version, but the problem still persists on the other phones.

Yealink support has advised upgrading to firmware 6.70.0.140. I haven't had the opportunity to try that yet, but it is curious that the Cisco doesn't have the problem, while the Yealink does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.