Heavy battery drain

Discussion in 'Android' started by KerryG, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

On my Galaxy S Vibrant I get horrible battery drain with the phone just sitting idle. I typically lose about 2% per hour but with the 3CXPhone active I lose 25% per hour.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Is this using WiFi or 3G?
    I'm not sure if that is worse or better than the battery life that I have experienced over the years with other WiFi VoIP handsets. I do know that they do tend to go through the battery pretty fast and I have never relied on them as an "always on" extension. I've just generally used them when checking voicemail and placing a call, then they have been shut off. I have recently acquired the HTC Desire and I'm still "playing around" with the 3CX application on it. So far, WiFi works great, but I haven't left it on for an extended period of time. I'm not impressed with smart phone battery life in general, I have been spoiled by a mobile that doesn't touch a charger for 3 or 4 days, if that.

A connection though 3G (for me) is not working properly, yet (no audio), still have to find some time to troubleshoot that.

3. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

With Wifi enabled i've also noticed that on most large Android Smartphones the battery dies within a fraction of the time that it would take for the phone to die without wifi enabled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

I leave WiFi enabled at all times and generally get 20-22 hours per charge. I am going to try a few things to make sure what is causing the battery drain, but if the 3CXPhone causes me to drop to a 4-5 hour battery life it is unusable. I have a fresh charge, clean boot this morning so I will see how it goes.

5. bicklo

Same thing here with HTC Wildfire, 3CX works great with WiFi but the battery leaks.

6. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I have managed to confirm that there is a sort of Battery Leak when 3CX is running on a phone.
    I can also explain why.

When the 3CXPhone is active it uses a very small amount of CPU power to keep everything running, but oddly enough that small amount of CPU is enough to cause a sort of heavy drain on your battery.
    You could expect your phone battery to die in a bit less than a day...

We are currently still making major changes to the phone it's self due to the many issues it has, we have also almost completed development of a tunnel for the 3CXPhone which in fact works both as a Tunnel for your 3CXPhone for Android and a Sip Proxy Manager running on an Android Phone.
    This basically means you can dump your current PC that's running your SIP Proxy Manager and "Possibly" run the app on the Android Phone.

We are aware of many Audio/Registration/Battery issues that the 3CXPhone currently has, and we are working on them to release a version of the application that rivals that of CSIPSIMPLE or Acrobits even.

But for now you have to be just a bit more patient :mrgreen:

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The tunnel option would be welcome. I had a chance to try out a WiFi connection during a trip the other day, showed as registered, but there was no audio. I've had that happen when using the 3CX phone on a netbook at various hotspots. Using the tunnel will usually will work, last resort it to VPN in. I suspect that certain ports are either blocked by the owner of the router, or, they are directed to another device on the network.

I also miss the diagnostic menu that the 3CX phone for windows, has. Other than that, it is nice not to have to think about carrying two phones now, when travelling.

8. edp4you

I've the same issue with Samsung Galaxy 5 and 3CX Phone System 12 application :O

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As you've resurrected posts from four years ago, and no doubt the 3CX phone version is different, the issues may be totally unrelated. You also failed to mention whether you are using Wifi or 3/4G, and if 3/4G, is normally left on all the time when 3CX isn't running.

You may want to look into installing a battery monitoring App if you have not done so already, just to confirm which App is using the most juice.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-battery-apps-improve-endurance,review-2335.html

I found when travelling last summer and leaving 3G and the 3CX phone (ver 11) on all day, I would only get about a days battery life if that on a Samsung Rugby Pro.

I have also found that it is not always necessary for the 3CX App to re-register as often as the default is set for

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.