Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Help Configuring Polycom IP500

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ngiovas, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ngiovas

I currently have my home phone system up and running with 2 softphones and 2 analog ports running through a linksys PAP2 ATA. I am now trying to update and configure 2 Polycom IP 500 phones that I purchased. Unfortunately, I am not having much luck and I am currently stuck.

The phones I bought were new in the box, but obviously Polycom does not support them any more. The app version on my phone is 1.3.0.0711 and the bootrom is 2.5.0.0006 (Dec 03). I have take the following steps to try to update the phones:

1. Downloaded the latest boot rom and sip file recommended for my specific phone from the Polycom site.

2. I unzipped them and placed them on an ftp server that is running on a local PC.

3. I logged into the ftp server using an ftp client to confirm that my credentials work and that I am placed directly into the folder containing the update files.

4. I configured the ftp settings within the Polycom IP500 phone.

5. The phone then reboots, but eventually states that it is not able to connect to the boot server with the current configuration and then proceeds to boot with no updates.

Can anyone provide any type of assistance with configuring these phones? Is it possible to connect them directly to a pc to update them? Is it possible to do just a simple registration to 3cx through the phones menu so that I can test the phones?

Thanks for the help.

Nick

2. ngiovas

Just a quick update:

I didn't realize that after the phone reboots, it takes several minutes before the web interface will work. I had tried several times with no luck, but after waiting 10 minutes, it works fine. I was able to get the phone to register on 3cx. It also takes several minute after making the changes for the phone to register, but it eventually does.

I still have the primary issue of not being able to update the firmware. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Nick

3. Fatboy40

Fatboy40 New Member

Hi Nick,

Have you tried using a TFTP server instead like the one from SolarWinds ?...

http://tinyurl.com/34js2r5

... to upload the bootrom etc ?.

4. ngiovas

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have posted an update. I was able to use Pumpkin TFTP and it worked great. What is strange is that Pumpkin works fine, but Solar Winds does not. The firewall on Server 2008 seems to be blocking it. I need to get it worked out because I would rather use Solar Winds.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.