• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Help help with audio problems, Phone System not behind route

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnelson

Customer
Reaction score
Hi,
We are setting up a 3cx Phone System on a server at a datacenter. I have configured the 3CX by following the instructions but im getting no audio either way.

Facts:
- All extensions are remote since the server is at a datacenter.
- The 3cx phone system is not behind any firewall, so i know its not a firewall issue on the phone system side.
- I have tested on both a linksys SPA 921 as well as the 3CX Phone.
- remote office has a linksys router, i have set DMZ to be the linksys phone, still doesnt work.

Does anyone have a document for my scenario (3cx is at a datacenter and all extensions are remote)

Thanks,
Brad

Re: Help help with audio problems, Phone System not behind r

No firewall, to include the Windows embedded? The 3cx server is directly connected and has a public ip? What are the other extensions, hard phone, soft phone? What make and how provisioned? Are they all showing registered? What does the log show?

bnelson said:
- The 3cx phone system is not behind any firewall, so i know its not a firewall issue on the phone system side.

However , something is either blocking, or the audio ports are misdirected. So while it may not be an actual firewall issue as such, it may be something acting as if it is a firewall. the fact that it is both directions would tend to indicate a problem at each end. The 3CX log will be helpful in determining what IP(s) and port 3CX thinks the extensions are located and if RTP packets are being received.

Have you tried running a remote extension, elsewhere (from your home, perhaps)to eliminate the possibility of an issue with the router at the remote end? Have you tried (if possible, running an extension from a public IP, not from behind a router?

bnelson said:
Does anyone have a document for my scenario (3cx is at a datacenter and all extensions are remote)

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/provisioning-a-remote-extension/

Lee,
Yes I have the windows firewall disabled on the windows server that is functioning as my 3cx phone system. It won't stay this way but while troubleshooting all ports are available.

Yes, im using Callcentric as my voip provider and i can use X-lite and place a call and it works correctly.

I believe i read somewhere that all remote extensions HAVE to use stun, is that correct? I tried stun and now I am able to place a call to my cell phone but i have 1 way audio. So now its time to troubleshoot the 1 way audio part.

I'll try to find some documentation on the audio issues with 3cx, but if you have them handy i'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Brad Nelson

bnelson said:
I believe i read somewhere that all remote extensions HAVE to use stun, is that correct? I tried stun and now I am able to place a call to my cell phone but i have 1 way audio.

STUN was prerequisite in the past, when using remote extensions, as the private IP would be used, if STUN wasn't, when the device registered. in recent 3CX releases an option should be set, by default, so that 3CX makes use of the public IP where the device resides. You can confirm that in the 3CX log, when looking at a set registration. Without the public IP of the remote router in there (and the correct port of the device) 3CX will not be able to communicate. This can be confirmed by attempting to call the remote extension, if it rings, then obviously, 3XC is able to reach it, for the signalling part. Audio makes use of different port number (unless you are using the tunnel option).

Which direction are you receiving no audio? Obviously, if there are no local extensions, then it becomes a bit more of a challenge in determining where the problem is.

bnelson said:
I'll try to find some documentation on the audio issues with 3cx, but if you have them handy i'd appreciate it.

Other than some basic settings for remote extensions, I haven't seen a step by step guide to troubleshooting audio issues. the problem being that there are so many possible configurations/routers/providers/devices used. You need to eliminate, or substitute possible "bottlenecks" or blockages between A and B. If there is no audio at the remote end, then try a remote set at another location, or using a public IP. If that worked, then it would point to an issue with the current remote router.

Lee,
Could I pay you to configure the 3cx system to work with my voip provider (callcentric)?

I could use some help, my current phone provider is having issues so our phone system is down.

OK here's an update:
When i try to dial out i get forbidden message on the 3cx phone.
Apparently inbound calls are working with audio now.

Here are the logs when trying to dial out:

30-07-2012 15:44:12.306 Leg L:7.1[Unknown:] is terminated: Cause: 200 BYE from PBX
30-07-2012 15:44:12.257 [CM502001]: Source info: From: "bnelson"<sip:[email protected]:5060>;tag=58255539; To: <sip:[email protected]:5060>
30-07-2012 15:44:12.257 [CM503013]: Call(C:7): Incoming call rejected, caller is unknown; msg=INVITE sip:[email protected]:5060 SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.1.50:57062;branch=z9hG4bK-d8754z-86571f31e803aa1b-1---d8754z-;rport=57062;received=173.217.178.171
Max-Forwards: 70
Contact: <sip:[email protected]:57062;rinstance=358023bba71f81bd>
To: <sip:[email protected]:5060>
Call-ID: Y2NiMDgxODk4YjlkN2I5NTQ2NmU0NmY2OWViZjliZmE.
CSeq: 2 INVITE
Allow: INVITE, ACK, CANCEL, OPTIONS, BYE, REGISTER, SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY, REFER, INFO, MESSAGE
Content-Type: application/sdp
Proxy-Authorization: Digest username="201",realm="3CXPhoneSystem",nonce="414d535c0627750b23:bd08ee9da388425addea3b4b36b053d7",uri="sip:[email protected]:5060",response="55a2635528581c49eaade3f8af80d428",algorithm=MD5
Supported: replaces
User-Agent: 3CXPhone 6.0.25732.0
Content-Length: 407

I haven't worked with that provider before, and to be honest, you'd be better off contacting someone local, familiar with 3CX, that provider, and able to be on site, or on call, if needed in the future.

There are so many variables, that what starts off as a simple install, can turn into something a lot more involved (dare I say, nightmare?) . You may find you need someone willing to put a lot of effort to get the initial wrinkles out of the system. After that it is always good to have someone local that is familiar with your installation, in the event you have an issue pop up.

If you can't find anyone, there are others on the forum that are 3CX certified and have offered their services in the past.

bnelson said:
30-07-2012 15:44:12.257 [CM503013]: Call(C:7): Incoming call rejected, caller is unknown; msg=INVITE sip:19047014894@voip.global-techforce.com:5060 SIP/2.0

Is this, perhaps, because you don't have the above URL in the Domain Name setting in 3CX?

i can try to use the IP instead of DNS name. I'd be shocked if 3CX doesnt support DNS name though.

oh also here is a reply from callcentric:

As far as the issue is concerned, as mentioned we believe the issue is relating to how your PBX is routing the outgoing call attempt specifically it seems that it's failing as it's unable to find a valid outbound route on your PBX (the responses that you are seeing on your PBX's server logs are actually generated by your PBX and not by our servers).

My outbound rule is pretty basic.
I have the following set:
1.) calls to numbers starting with prefix: 9
2.) route: Callcentric Strip digits: 1

Ok that was it. If i put the IP of the server it works, if i use the DNS name it doesnt. This seems pretty especially if i was hosting multitenant servers and had hundreds of clients using the IP, then should need to switch to a different server (for whatever reason) i have to contact hundreds of people and tell them to change the IP on thier phone....crazy!

Anyway, now im having an issue with how it dials

if I dial: 9,1-555-123-4567 its now working. But i dont want to dial a 9+1, i only want to dial (area code)+555-1234
Any idea how to set that up?

This may depend on how many different routes you have or need. The 9 is usually a holdover from earlier times when people dialed that to get an outside line. If you only have the one provider and they are reached through one interface or route, simply eliminate he 9 from all of your out bound rules. Then create a rule that also looks for numbers with 10 digits, then strips 0 and pretends "1". This will effectively add the number "1" to your dial string regardless of the area code.

bnelson said:
Ok that was it. If i put the IP of the server it works, if i use the DNS name it doesnt. This seems pretty especially if i was hosting multitenant servers and had hundreds of clients using the IP, then should need to switch to a different server (for whatever reason) i have to contact hundreds of people and tell them to change the IP on thier phone....crazy!

As I said earlier, if you have a domain name at the 3CX end, and you want to make use of that when contacting the SIP server (3CX), then you need to put that into 3CX as the Domain Name, it's in the advanced settings. If you don't, 3CX will reject the calls. This applies if you are using a DDNS service as well. You then do not need to make use of the Public IP of the 3CX server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.