• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Help!! Internet Connection (Send 3CX one way, PC's another?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnkey

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got two internet connections setup on my network, one for 3CX VoIP and one for the PC's general internet and email access.

How can I ensure that the 3CX uses the correct internet connection?

As it's a SIP trunk, it must go through the correct internet connection, as it's verified by the IP.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm really struggling with this one.

If I installed a second Network Port, could I somehow, select the 3CX to connect to a VoIP provider on one network port/IP address, whilst allowing the phones to run on the other network port, which is connected to the main IT network?

Thanks, appreciate anyones help!! :)

"Network Port", what is it?
Thanks ;)

SY said:
"Network Port", what is it?
Thanks ;)

A NIC - network interface card?

Ethernet connection :)

This should be possible with the proper routing.

comresource said:

What do you mean?

In the 3CX management console, could you not simply select the VoIP provider to be connected via a particular IP or NIC ?

turnkey said:
comresource said:

What do you mean?

In the 3CX management console, could you not simply select the VoIP provider to be connected via a particular IP or NIC ?

Where is the "residence" of ["Network Port"|NIC|Ethernet connection]? Is it the PBX host? (I'm talking about Network port verified by your VoIP provider)

Yes, I would install a new NIC, which would plug directly into the the VoIP interent connection router.

turnkey said:
Yes, I would install a new NIC, which would plug directly into the the VoIP interent connection router.
So,
You need to install new NIC on PBX host, and this new NIC should be used by PBX to communicate with your VoIP provider. Do I understand you?

Yes that's correct.

The other NIC, will be connected to the main network and the phones will connect to the PBX via that NIC.

turnkey said:
Yes that's correct.

The other NIC, will be connected to the main network and the phones will connect to the PBX via that NIC.

http://wiki.3cx.com/documentation/networking

Thanks Stepan,

Is there any particular page within networking you are referring too?

I've read a couple of them and I can't seem to find a guide for this issue.

I simply want the Phones to connect to the PBX via NIC-1 and the PBX to connect to the VoIP ISP via NIC-2

On NIC -1 do not set a gateway address, just the IP address, subnet mask. This will cause Windows to only try and reach IP addresses within that subnet. On NIC-2 set the gateway address of your internet access device as well as the IP address, subnet mask, DNS etc. This will cause windows to use that NIC to get to any IP address not inside the local subnet. It is important to understand that NIC-1 and NIC-2 cannot be inside the same subnet.

turnkey said:
Thanks Stepan,

Is there any particular page within networking you are referring too?

I've read a couple of them and I can't seem to find a guide for this issue.

I simply want the Phones to connect to the PBX via NIC-1 and the PBX to connect to the VoIP ISP via NIC-2

Last link in the list, about STUN... Do you see correlation with your requirement and information provided by that article?
In any case, PBX cannot break network routing rules configured on the host. So you still need to configure it(routing table on the host) correctly. computesa thanks for the comment.

Thanks Both,

It all seems rather complicated, however, I've set it up on my Demo system, I've turned off STUN.

So I need to setup the two NIC.

So NIC-1 - I will not setup a Gateway address, but will give it a static IP and subnet mask. This is the IP the phones will use to connect to the PBX.

On NIC-2 - I will setup the IP, should I set this up as the Public IP address?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.