• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Help! Newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davero

Reaction score
Hi guys

I just installed 3CX Phone System on my home network to give it a try. I installed it on my laptop which is connected wirelessly to a router and assigned IP is 192.168.2.3. I put this address in the domain/IP during installation, was this correct? Later on, I created the first extension "100" and configured the phone correctly on this laptop and it works ok. This is the problem though, I install only the softphone on another laptop which has an IP 192.168.2.4 and it doesnt connect. I created a new extension "101" and configured the softphone with it but it wont connect. What do I have to do? Im using Nod32 with firewall if that has anything to do or what am I doing wrong.

THanks in advance!!

Did you take a look at Server Activity Log section? I would start from there. If you are not seeing enough data there, you can enable Debugging mode via Settings -> Advanced -> Logging Level and set it to Verbose mode. "Not being able to connect" sounds more like a firewall issue, did you try by disabling all firewalls? My experience with 3CX or any other phone system is that you need to TONS of tests to make sure you are understanding their characteristics :)

Good luck.

The log is a the best place to start, the one in 3CX will tell you if it see any registration attempts. There is also a log on the 3CX softphone that can give you some info as to why it can't connect (incorrect password, etc.).

If everything else is correct, then it may be a firewall issue on the 3CX PC. Can you Ping that PC from the one just running he softphone? If you go into windows explorer can you see the other PC on your network? If you can't do either then try (for testing) disabling any firewall(s) that may be running. You don't have to have your router connected to the net to do this if there is any fear of viruses. It is also a good idea (if you haven't already), if you plan on running 3CX on the one PC only, to set the IP as static, other wise you run the risk the risk of it changing on your network

Thanks guys! It was a firewall problem. After adding some rules I managed to connect both PC's. Now, I have my laptop which is running the 3CX Server (for testing purposes I havent gotten around to acquiring a dedicated PC server) but it doesn't have a Static IP.

I changed it to a static IP 192.168.2.100 (outside of the DHCPwhich was set from 192.168.2.2 to 52) but after doing this and changing the IP of the PBX server to my static IP, I only managed to connect the softphone on the server PC but not on the separate laptop.

I decided to remove my static IP and change back the DHCP to defaults but now my laptop always connects to 192.168.2.50 and also wont connect.

What can I do, guys?

davero said:
I changed it to a static IP 192.168.2.100 (outside of the DHCPwhich was set from 192.168.2.2 to 52) but after doing this and changing the IP of the PBX server to my static IP, I only managed to connect the softphone on the server PC but not on the separate laptop.

Did you reboot after the changes? Did you change the IP in the 3CX softphone too, so it knows the new IP to connect to?

Try forwarding ports 5060 and 5090 to the static IP of your server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammad.k
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.