• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Help with a rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbo_

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an extension that works out of office one day a week. I've set him up with 3cx phone for iPhone and for windows so he can monitor his incoming calls. He has a DDI that comes only to his extension. When he's working from home on that one day a week when a call comes in his desk phone in the office still rings out (as you'd expect). How can I prevent the desk phone from ringing out on the one day a week he works from home?

Thanks,

Jimbo

There is no rule set that addresses the issue directly, but you can use the office hours and status rules to achieve, more or less, the same results.

1. Set up his office extension as you might normally. Then set up the office rules for this extension to take into account the one day is he out.
2. Set the office extension to react automatically to the office hours such that when not within the hours, the extension will forward according to the out-of-office rules.
3. Set up the softphones with a different extension number from the office phone and point the forwarding rules as stated above in #2 to these instead.

This will do what you have asked, but the downside is that the extension owner will now have 2 extensions to manage. You may find it necessary to set up the reverse rule set for the softphones such that on the days when in the office, anyone calling the softphone will be forwarded back to the desk phone. I assume that the active phone will send any unanswered calls to voice mail for the extension that failed; so again 2 extensions to manage in this case as well as when the owner is truly away on vacation or other and wants to alter the rule set. He will need to consider the impact to both extensions.

I just don't know of a way to single out a single phone for special treatment if it is also configured to be the SAME extension as other phones.

Here is an out-of-the-box solution. Fell free to ignore it.

If the set, on the office desk is locally powered (AC adapter). Put that on a 7 day timer that is only on, the days he is in the office. (or he manually turns off the power when he leaves) That way the set will not be registered and calls will go off to voicemail unless he has his home extension working.

Leejor -

I fell off my chair LOL at your suggestion. Here I am thinking one of the best IP-PBXs on the market with a plethora of features that most will never fully utilize; yet one brilliant old school suggestion overcomes a unforeseen need. I would never have thought of that in a million years. Bravo.

Many times, a request for some sort of a "function" comes along, that is not going to be covered by the in-built features because very few users would actually make use of it.

You just have to sit down and think...how would I make this work, and in such a way that it would be transparent to the user, if possible. It doesn't have to be complicated, or complex, it just has to do the job.

As much as it has some side-effects of its own.. I added an extension for my home office separate from my office extension.
From home, I use my smartphone to set my office extension status, which triggers a ruleset to forward calls to the other extension. Not a perfect science, as chat(ter) at the office might go to either one.. but usually they see my status of "Telecommuting" and get the idea..

We run a service desk, I just control the home handset with queue login and extension status.. so as not to annoy wifey when I'm at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steffen Ekerdt
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.