Help with first time setup 3102

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by IDI_Ben, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDI_Ben

Hello all, thank you very much for being here to support everyone. I have a few questions.

I have never setup a VoIP system before or even used one. I work with a small company in the United States and we are wanting to using the Linksys SPA-3102 as a gateway for our POTS line. I tried to follow the setup for our Polycom phones, and seem to have done that correctly.

I see in my 3CX Phone System that the Ports/Trunk for my 3102 has registered. I also see that the two extensions I have made for the phones have registerd. I am able to call between the two phones and it seems to function well. I am just very confused on how to set all this up! I don't even understand how to dial out to test the line or how to call in to test the line. Please forgive my ignorance...I have tried reading the manuals and browsing this forum but I cannot seem to find information to start me on the right path.

I have the Linksys device connected in the following matter. Internet port is plugged into a router and it obtained an IP of 192.168.2.12, the Line port is plugged into our POTS line. The Phone port is plugged into an Analog phone, and I have left the WAN port unconnected. I am not much of an IT/Networking guy and really don't know what I'm doing with this. If you need any further information to help me get started, please let me know and I can provide screen shots or server logs.

I'm confused on how this system works. I am assuming that when I set up the phones I make the SIP server information the IP/Port of the computer hosting the 3CX server software. I don't understand how the 3102 is used to deliver the calls to this server and out to the specific extension. I followed the directions for setting up the 3102 as a gateway from 3CX, but maybe I entered incorrect information at some point? I have double checked the current 3102 settngs with what was described in the guide and all seem to match. Please help me out.

Thank you very much for your time and any assistance you might have to offer!

2. IDI_Ben

Ah! I have figured out part of my problem...I had not set up any Outbound call rules. Well I have done that now and can make outbound calls. I'll try to get the inbound settings correct and see if i can successfully receive inbound calls. But first...I must eat some lunch. Thanks for all who looked and thought about helping!

3. IDI_Ben

And to close this thread I have solved all the problems! Thanks to Ping_it for his solution:

I now have the task of forwarding some of these calls to a cell phone. Thanks

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It is best, for SIP devices on your network, to assign them their IP and NOT use DHCP, that way it never changes.

I seem to recall the ports being WAN and LAN, the WAN port is the one that should be plugged into your router. The LAN port will support another device on your network, set it to the bridge mode (since you already have a router on the network) and you can plug in a PC or another VoIP device without having to use another port on the back of your router.

5. IDI_Ben

leejor, thanks for the reply!

I actually manually assigned that IP to the router but siad it obtained the address...so all is good on that point. But as for the WAN being plugged into my router and not the LAN port...does it matter? I am able to receive incoming calls and perform outgoing calls with no real issues.

I have encountered another issue (I believe the last in my 3cx endeavors), when I set up an extension to forward a call to an external number it always tells the caller that the line is busy and returns the caller to the Automated Assistant. Is there a specific format for the number that I must enter or would simply entering "8165555555" work? I also tried enclosing the number in < > to no avail. thanks for your time.

6. amos.max

Not that I'm an expert, but the SPA-3102 can only do one line. If you have an inbound call that you want to transfer to an external number you need two lines - in other words the busy signal is correct.

HTH - Marcus.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If it works, I guess you can leave it that way unless you want to hang another device off of there. Don't know if it will cause any issues, just letting you know how the manufacturer "recommends" it be connected. I assume you have it set to "bridge" mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.