Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Help with my setup

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ggoosen, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggoosen

HI Guys

I am from SOuth Africa and have been trying to get the 3cx system working at home.

I have an SP3102 , and a VOIP account wiht a company here called FNB COnnect which i understand uses IAX or SIP, either way

I have managed to get the system installed. and i have managed to get extensions inside my network to call each other.

At one stage i had the internal extensions able to call out via my VOIP account.

But i am having 2 problems.. the first problem is with the instructions, the instructions talk about the fact the 3cx can only work with the SP3102 as a gateway or as an ATA, i dont understand what the difference is.. i first did it as a "gateway" which meant disabling the Line1(VOIP line) and only setting up the PSTN line.. i did that but my PSTN line did not register, not on the 3102 or on the 3cx system.. i am pretty sure i have the ip address's correct.

i then proceeded to setup the system as an ATA, the VOIP account did register there for a stage and that was when i was able to make calls out..

But the problem i am havin is i cannot recieve calls on my VOIP number or from my PSTN account..

Guys i am very noob to this so please help.

had a look at the logs now... the latest thing i have is..

19:50:13.732 Connection error Could not contact DNS servers for _sip._udp.voice.fnbconnect.co.za

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The 3102 is really two devices in one box. They can be completely separate or can have interaction with each other, depending on the settings. 3CX will work with both halves, trust me. There are a LOT of features, and a BIG manual to prove it. Most settings will not need to be changed from the way it comes out of the box.

The PSTN portion, using the "LINE" jack (FXO) is also referred to as a gateway because it allows a VoIP system (3CX) to dial out on a regular POTS phone line. The other half uses the "PHONE" jack and is the FXS port. that is where you plug in a standard phone so that you can use a VoIP system. Each half will register independently on 3CX. If you are just using a VoIP provider and not a regular phone line then just use the FXS port, for the time being.

The 3102 also has a built in router, but don't worry about that part until you get the voice portion working.

If you had no intention of using a POTS line then the 3102 is a bit overkill.

3. ggoosen

Hi

THanks for the prompt reply..

i have full intention to use the POTS side..

i would like to do the following.

my phone handset(the normal PSTN phone) needs to be able to be used as handset to receive calls from the VOIP number as well as my normal landline number.

i then want to be able to set dialing rules so that certain numbers will be routed between the normal land line and others over VOIP.

Does that make sense.

4. Discovery Technology

The Linksys SPA3102 has two line ports, so you could achieve what you would like to do.

One of the ports could be used as your PSTN gateway, the other could be used as an ATA for your plain old phone handset.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ggoosen

yeh thats what i was hoping.

But going back to my orignial question.

the PSTN line on the device is not registering .. so currently i am unable to recieve or make calls using the analogue phone.

THanks

6. Discovery Technology

Did you use the template for the Linksys SPA-3102 (PSTN Devices --> Add Gateway) to get the suggested config file for uploading to your ATA?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The 3102 is a pretty complicated piece of equipment and will do all that you are looking for on it's own. It has a lot of features that most people will never use. You can have one phone access and receive calls on both the POTS line and multiple VoIP services, although just one VoIP provider can be registered for incoming calls. You can set up a dial plan to direct your outgoing calls to whichever line you want based on dialed digits.

That's fine if you're content to use a single telephone, it's when you want multiple people to have access to those services that 3CX makes more sense.

8. ggoosen

HI Guys

THanks for the reply's

FIrst thing is, i did use the template that is supplied by 3cx to setyp the gateway, and then the ATA.. i didnt use the config file cos i was not sure on how to apply the config to the router.

secongly.. i figured that there was a wayt that i could use the 3102 wiouth 3cx but for the life of me its not happening..

as i said i had it setup with just the 3cx, i was able to recive calls on my analogue line and make calls, which always routed to analogue, i am assuming because my dialing plan was not setup thats why i was not able to dial out with VOIP... i dont know how to setup the dialing plan.

a

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are talking about setting up a "dialplan" (out bound rule in 3CX), it's pretty straight forward. What digits do you want to dial and which trunk do you want it to use. There is no universal standard as 3Cx is used around the world and how people dial local and long distant calls can differ greatly. Do you want to strip off a digit, like a "9" before sending out, or do you want to add some digits on the front of the digits you dial before send out.

There is also a dialplan in the 3102 for the FXS port (the phone jack). The default allows most calls but you can tweak it to send off certain digits without the 5, or so second wait. There are a number of sites on the net that give a good explanation of setting up a Linksys dialplan that will work for you, and a description all of the options. You're not the first person to try to figure out one of these.

10. ggoosen

Hi

THanks for the reply, after reading the last post i made i realized it was not making much sense. :)

Anyways, as said before i think i have 2 issues with the setup in the 3cx system, firstly my PSTN line from the router is not registering in the 3cx console, which i would assume is why i cannot dial out with the PSTN line.

Secondly i would assume my dial plan is incorrect, assuming that the dial plans are geared for Europe and America.

I am able to DIAL out using a softphone through 3CX on my VOIP line.

So i would like to have the following..
    From any phone in the network (softphones, and analogue phone attached the the FX port on the router) i would like to recieve calls on my 087(VOIP number) and my 011(POTS, Analogue line)

From internal i would like call other extensions(this is the only thing i have sort of got right so far) as well as dial out using either the PSTN(POTS) line or the VOIP line. i would assume that i can either do that with differnet dial plans, or i can setup a prefix on the line..

Hope that explains a bit better.

Thanks

11. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

A first of all your voip line and POTS line are separate.

The voip line you have must be registered to the 3CX Pbx and that is something that you should do independently from the linksys gateway.

Tackle 1 problem at a time.

Now - for the linksys all you have to do is follow this pretty basic guide http: //www.3cx.com/voip-gateways/linksys-3102/ - NO LONGER AVAILABLE

and do not forget this crucial point - ( In the Dial Plans section, (OF THE LINKSYS) set the "Dial Plan" to [x*]. Otherwise long numbers will be stripped. )

Also with analogue, first and foremost always check the line, so you get an analogue phone and plug it to the telco point excluding Linksys and pbx. When you hear dial tone and can call out/in, then you can plug it in the FXO port of the Linksys.

Note the linksys is a hybrid (mixed) device- this means it has 2 telephone ports at the back - One is FXS and the other is FXO. FXS means that you can plug in an analogue telephone in it. FXO means you have to plug in a telephone line. Do not mix these two ports. At the back opf the linksys you will see 2 ports - LINE and Phone. LINE refers to the FXO. Phone refers to FXS.

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Did you assign a fixed IP to the 3102 and make note of the two port numbers in the settings? The PSTN will have one port and the Line will have another, usually 5060 and 5061. You have to put both the IP and the port for the PSTN into that trunks settings in 3CX.

13. ggoosen

thanks for all the reply's

ok i have now got the system working 60%.

THis is what i am able to do..

I am able to call my 087 number(VOIP number) from outside and the system correclty puts the call to the Digital Switchboard(as per my setup)

from the 3cx softphone i am able to call out on the VOIP line and the PSTN line 8 and 9 prefix respectively..

However. i cannot from the analogue handset dial out on 8 or 9 (voip or pstn) i get a lady saying (called number does not exists)
    i also cannot call other extensions from the analogue phone, this makes me belive that line 1 is not routing through 3cx but only through the 3102

if i however call from the outside i get routed directly to the analogue set insted of being routed to the DS(digital switchboard)

i have setup outgoing rules for the linksys and for my voip accont

and i have setup incoming rules. for my voip account and my linksys

incoming for the voip account is any number from 087* must be sent to DS
    and incoming for linksys is * must be routed to DS

14. ggoosen

ok i dont know if this is going to confuse you even more or not but now what is happenign is..

when i call my PSTN number 011 number

i my analogue phone starts ringing..

if i pick up the call on the analogue phone.. the system seems to auto transfer the call to me Digital Receptionist, and i get a sort of engageded tone on my analogue handset.

087 still works though,

one of the things i am not sure on is on the pstn tab..
    the guide says that we need to specify dial plan 8 as the
    In the Dial Plans section, set the "Dial Plan 8" field to "(S0<:yyyy>)" where yyyy must be replaced with the ID that you entered for the line in the 3CX Phone System Management Console. For example, if the ID used was "10700", the "Dial Plan 8" field must be set to "(S0<:10700>)".

now what i did was i substituted 10001(which is the virtual extenion is 3cx for the linksys gateway) i am not sure if that is correct.

my normal extenions are 1000 1001 and 1002

am i supposed to use 10001 or 1000 in the dial plan for 8.

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You would enter 10001 as you are dealing with a trunk (Gateway), and that is what was assigned by 3CX when you datafilled the trunk. . It sound like you haven't "split" the two devices inside the 3102. The phone CAN dial out and receive calls from the PSTN line, if you want it to, in this case you don't. In the PSTN tab, go down to PSTN to VoIP gateway set up, Make sure PSTN ring thru line 1 is set to NO. that will stop incoming calls ringing the phone directly. Under the LINE 1 tab, go down to VoIP fallback to PSTN, and make sure that is set to NO. Just below that have a look at the dialplan. That usually defaults to one for North America. Before changing anything, save that page so you will have the previous settings to refer to later if need be. Change the dial-plan to (x*), that will allow anything to be dialed, later you can modify it to suit how you dial calls. Here is link to one of many sites describing how Linksys dial-plans work...http://www.netphonedirectory.com/pap2_dialplan2.htm

They are pretty much the same in all Sipura/Linksys/Cisco devices

16. ggoosen

Leejor

THanks

Sound advice... i changed the ring through and all works now :)

17. Digitallad

Hi I know this quite a time since your last post but do you have the settings that you used to register your FNB connect line to you 3cx system?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.