Help with setting up outgoing PSTN lines

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by goodwija, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodwija

Hi

I am reasonably new to 3CX and have currently setup a v6 and v7 test environment.

I think I have a fairly typical requirement which is:

Seven Aastra 57i phones.
    I work from home and have 1 x PSTN line for home use (private) and 1 x PSTN line for work use (business).

I have ordered a Patton 2 x FXO gateway which hasn't arrived yet but decided to look at the config in readiness.

My plan was to allocate L1 on each physical phone to extension no's 100 - 106 and L4 on each physical phone to extension no's 120 - 126.

I was then going to create an outbound rule so that extensions in the range 100 - 106 always dialled out on the private line and extensions 120 - 126 always dialled on the business line. When I came to do this it only seems possible to go down to gateway level not line level. So in other words I could direct all outgoing calls from extns 100 - 106 to gateway 1 but bot to gateway 1 PSTN 1.

The only easy way I could see of doing this was to buy 2 x Pattons and have different gateways specified for different ranges of extension. Very expensive of course!

This feature looks the same in v6 and v7. It would be ideal if on the 'Make outbound calls on' panel (v7) the 'Route' drop down box didn't just state the gateway but the gateway + the PSTN line number.

I want to dial 9 to get an outside line from any extension so not really keen on having different dialling prefixes e.g 91 for the private line and 92 for the business line.

This is the last hurdle before purchasing the software.

Does anyone know how to do this or is my understanding of how this works way off course?

Thanks
    John

2. galal202

galal202 New Member

I have Granstream GXW4104 (4 PSTN FXO) and I can choose any line I need
    it's depending on your gateway Not 3CX
    and may be in the future can be controlled from 3CX

3. goodwija

Sorry but I don't see how you choose the line. Are you saying that the gateway can be configured to make outgoing calls on a certain PSTN line based on the source extension number??

If not could you please explain how using extension 100 for an outgoing call will use the private line vs an outgoing call on 120 which would use the business line.

I've not used a gateway such as this before so this is very new to me.

Thanks

John

4. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hi,
    My outbound rules
    81 to choose first line
    82 to choose second line ….. etc.

And you can make a dial plan (outbound rule) like:
    Numbers start with 2,3,4,5 (etc) from ext 120-130 uses line 1
    Numbers start with 2,3,4,5 (etc) from ext 100-110 uses line 2
    So when you call from ext 100:110 3CX route the call to Line 2
    So when you call from ext 120:130 3CX route the call to Line 1

5. goodwija

Thanks for the response but as per my original mail I can't see a way of doing what you have said. That's exactly what I want to do apart from using differnt codes for each line, however what I think you are limited to is only defining the gateway and not the line. The drop down box doesn't give that option. Maybe this is becuase the Patton isn't hooked up yet but I don't think so.

So what the interface seems to allow is

And you can make a dial plan (outbound rule) like:
    Numbers start with 2,3,4,5 (etc) from ext 120-130 use GW1 (but not line specific)
    Numbers start with 2,3,4,5 (etc) from ext 100-110 use GW2
    So when you call from ext 100:110 3CX route the call to GW1
    So when you call from ext 120:130 3CX route the call to GW2

I hope that I am wrong.

If you have it configured in the way you stated is there any chance of attaching a screen shot which would be easier to understand.

Regards

6. worksighted

worksighted New Member

I understand what you are asking. You will notice that each port on a gateway is assigned a unique trunk identifier (10001,10002) for example. While you can control inbound calls based on which port they are going out.....I am not certain that you can control the physical FXO port (or to be more specific, trunk ID) that a call from a particular extension will go out.

But, if you "split" your patton gateway and treat it like 2 - 1 port devices in 3CX you MAY (I have not tried this) be able to get the behavior you want. You will then have GW1 and GW2 (each with 1 port) and can route your outbound calls appropriately. Again, I havent actually tried this. Just a thought.

Mike

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello Goodwija,
    Hello Mike Harris,

Mike You cannot split 1 gateway
    Goodwija yes you are wrong

but I'm talking about Grandstream GXW4104
    this device has prefix to specify port
    As you see at the attachment

And I can dial from the port I want

this idea could help you if patton has this feature

8. goodwija

galal202 - thanks for your help, much appreciated.

It took 3 weeks for the Patton to arrive so I've only just had time to test this.

I think I now understand where you are going with this. In brief you suggest setting up a different IP port e.g. 5061 or 5062 for each of the PSTN lines??

I have tried this by creating two gateways on the 3CX systems e.g. GW01 has 1 line and SIP port 5061 and GW02 has 1 line on port 5062. The Patton is configured similarly. I think I have a few authentication issues which I'm scartching my head over. These existed even with the basic setup e.g 1 GW configuered with 2 lines and using the auto generated file loaded into the Patton. So I need to figure this out - the Patton isn't the friendliest interface I have ever used :cry:

The message I get on the v6 log is:

08:56:52.857 DeviceRecord::DeviceRecord [CM305004]: Failed to find a transport to host 172.40.100.90

although both the Patton (SIP status) and the 3CX system (phone systems -> line status) say that the lines are registered. I have 2 outgoing rules, one for each gateway statement, both dealing with calls starting 9 but from different extension ranges. Needless to say I get a call failed message on the phone and an error in the server log which says:

09:09:12.058 Call::Terminate [CM503008]: Call(2): Call is terminated
    09:09:12.042 Call::RouteFailed [CM503015]: Call(2): Attempt to reach "907718xxxxxx"[sip:907718585868@172.40.100.29:5060] failed. Reason: Not Found
    09:09:12.042 CallCtrl::eek:nSelectRouteReq [CM503004]: Call(2): Calling: PSTNline:mad:[Dev]

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.