• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

help with voice quality issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfive

Free User
Reaction score
Hi,

The setup is like this:

3cx v8 on win7
12 extensions, mix of aastra and 2 models of polycom
2 ea. Patton 4 FXO running 5.x firmware, POTS lines. (config files via 3cx)

There is a voice quality issue that I could use some help isolating, please.

Extension to extension voice quality is good. Extension to voicemail, etc. is good. IOW, all is good internally.

When a call is made to an outside number, the voice quality at the extension changes. When talking, the extension user gets some echo, and a lot of "scratchy" type noise, but only when talking. When listening to the outside caller, there is no noise. When neither party is talking, there is no noise.

The external person never hears this echo or noise - it's only on the internal extensions.

As all makes and models of phone exhibit the same behaviour, and as all internal calls are noise free, does this isolate the issue to the gateways/pots lines?

Any ideas where I might start on this? I've made zero modifications to the patton configs generated by 3cx, as I wouldn't know which knobs to twist .

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Les.

It could be a outgoing level issue going into the PSTN from the FXOs. That is generally what will cause echo, you send too high of a level and the hybrid (the part that splits the transmit and receive from and to the phone line) ends up sending part what you are sending out, back to you because it can't cancel it all out. Since there is a bit of a delay, you hear it as echo. Check for any echo suppress options that can be enabled. Make sure that you have the latest firmware load.

Thanks for the reply, leejor.

After much trial and error, it seems the issue is with one of the Pattons. One is fine, the other not. Switching pots lines from one to the other has pretty well proven it.

I'll have to see if there's any difference in the configs, but I seriously doubt it as they are both configured by the same 3cx template. I upgraded both to the latest 5.x firmware prior to deployment - I may do the faulting one again to be sure.

Thanks - Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattS
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.