Help with VOIP Gateways

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jpearl, May 11, 2007.

1. jpearl

Hello,
    I am very confused about the difference between a VOIP Gateway and a VOIP adapter (if there is a difference) which is why i came here for help. I want to hook up my traditional PSTN line to 3CX and i cannot figure out which hardware i need. What is the cheapest way to go to do this (i dont need every single available feature)?

Thanks in advanced for you help.

-- Josh

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Josh,

Depending where you are in the world and what kit is available. I have very good experiences with the SPA-3102.

I assume you want:

- Receive PSTN Calls
    - Make PSTN Calls
    - Connect to a VoIP provider (this is when you want to make those calls via the internet).

So lets do some teco babble:

This is what you got now:
    FXS - Foreign eXchange Subscriber interface (the plug on the wall) delivers POTS service from the local phone company

3. jpearl

Thanks, but im still a little bit confused. I kind of understand that this device gets connected to the PSTN line, and also via ethernet to my network on which the 3CX server is based, but what is the FXS port needed for?

Thanks again, especially for the suggestion.

By the way, not sure how much it matters but to your point of where i am, I'm in New York

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

FXS, this is where you can connect your current phone to.

So your phone is connected to the wall socket, what you do with an ATA is put it between the wall socket and your phone.

FXS ports are handy, mainly if your PC (that runs 3cx) stops working for what ever reason (for example power outage) you still have a way of calling someone without plugging and un plugging cables.

In my case, I have the ATA hidden in the computer room somewhere and have a DECT phone connected to it.

FXS is just for backup.

edit

telephonydepot.com might be a place that is applicable for ya

end edit.

5. zadean

Hello Henk.

This posting is most useful.
    I am also confused faced with the array of gateways, routers etc.
    I am looking to purchase something to hook up my 3 PSTN lines to the 3CX. I am looking at 2 incoming PSTN lines and 4 SIP Phone extensions and where I am, the choice is pretty limited and expensive.
    I was looking at the Grandstream GW410 which is quite pricey compared to the SPA3102 you recommend. Am I correct in thinking that the SPA3102 is only for one incoming PSTN line? If so, could the SPA2012, or similar, be used as a gateway for 2 incoming lines and 4 SIP extensions? Or, is there another ATA you recommend or do I need a unit with 2 FXO and 4 FXS ports???

Thanks
    Dean

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To be honest mate, the guys at 3CX might be in a better position to tell you what and how as they have tested a fair fiew of these devices by now.

FXS = Where you plug your handset into
    FXO = Where you connect a cord that also connects to the PSTN wall socket (so you can make and receive non-VoIP calls)

So lets see.

You need 2FXO as you have two incomming PSTN lines. You want 4 SIP phone extensions, for that you do not need to have 4 FXS ports, just a network connection, computer with 3cx running and a switch

This is how it works.
    FXS is for your handset, but that is analogue handset only, if you go to 3cx you run your phone traffic over you network (RJ45) so lets assume you have a computer that is connected to a switch, you can plug your SIP phones direct into that switch and make it work.

Now we both know that you can pick up a switch for a lot less than a ATA :). Some modems have even come with 4 ports now a days.

So comming back to your configuration.

Let me write up a shopping list:

ATA:
    2 FXO ports as you have two lines comming so I assume two wall sockets
    4 SIP phone extensions you need 3cx to do that you can even go past 4 sip extensions.
    (Now what got me thinking is you mention 3 pstn lines, but looking at 2 incoming)
    1 VSP that is to make your SIP calls to the outside world.

I seem to struggle a bit with the wording, if you want I can make a little diagram for you showing how your network configuration should look like.

Question time:

1. 2 incoming PSTN lines.... I assume that your customers will dial one of those lines to contact you and you do not want to change those numbers (as you do not have to). The calls received on these lines must be routed to your office staff using SIP. (One or all of the 4 extensions)

2. Outgoing calls you want to be over VoIP as it is most likely cheaper. Do you want to have all 4 extensions to be able to make calls at the same time or is it only one or two at the same time using VoIP?

3. When VoIP is not available (lets say the internet is down, horrible thought brrr). Do you still want to be able to use the SIP phones? If so you need fail over in your ATA. Most have that anyway.

4. Your sip phones are they softphones or IP phones. Eg are you using your computer to make calls?

7. zadean

Hey Henk

This is just the info I have been looking for. Thanks mate.

I want to run SIP phones (hard) so now I know I only need focus on FXO and not so much on FXS

I will only run 2 incoming lines, that

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

9. mujalli

Please Henk, in you clear and very much appreciated diagram how to find or configure a IP for IP Phones or ATAs to see it from a remote out side of the network, on the Hotel in Hong Komg for example?

Is in the router we have to configure to forward 3Cx server IP to connect phones via remote?

thanks

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You only have to configure what we call the "edge". So the device that talks to the big WWW (Wacky Wild World).

If your router is connected to the internet then that is where your Public IP will sit and the router will have too translate the addess to your 3cx box.

If your ATA is connected to the internet, and does not go through the router, than that is where you have to configure the translation from the internet IP to the 3cx IP. (but i doubt that that is the case, so stick with the router)

So lets assume you have a router.

The router talks to the internet using the public IP address, this is the address you can PING or browse to. In the router there is and option to map the public IP address to the IP addres of the 3cx server. This what we call port forwarding in this scenario.

You do not have to configure the IP phones to be known to the internet because they will only need to talk to the 3cx box, that box is your gateway for the IP Phones.

The router is the gateway for the 3cx box.

Does that make sence?

11. mujalli

Thanks Henk, sure makes sense a lot...but...please...one point once all this terms is new for my mind confusion:

How to the router will have too translate the addess to the 3cx box?
    How to map router with the public IP address to the IP addres of the 3cx server?

Atually the 3CX server is host on a lan of Linksys wifi: 192.168.1.101
    This Wifi is in a lan of the D-Link 704P router with a 192.168.0.118

So my dificult is how to forward in this confusion network, maybe to leave only the wifi router to talk with internet and from it to map router to 3CX IP.

Sorry Henk my insistence but if you can to make a diagram for this Linksys WRT54GX4 WIFI router i will be very thanks, i tried many times but without success... :roll:

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Questions:

Which device is talking to the internet?

The Linksys or the D-Link?

13. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

More info about Adapters, Gateways and such at

http://www.3cx.com/PBX/IP-PBX-faq.html

14. mujalli

Hi Henk and admin thanks for reply..

Well now is D-link device is talking with the internet, but if you have suggestion for both wil be very apreciatte once i wil use one of them in other 3CX server office network.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here you go, have a look at that if that can help you out.

H.

16. mujalli

So clear Henk, so many thanks to take your time to explain me...

But please my dificult is how to configure 3CX Ip on the forward page of the D-Link 704P, I have to put the 3CX IP (in your diagram example 192.168.0.120) on the forward page on the D Link704P, for Ip Phones or ATAS to find it and connect it, wich port 5060-5061 i should to use?

On D-Link 704P:
    Does Virtual Server the same that forward page?
    Virtual Server is used to allow Internet users access to LAN services.

Or I have to use the Routing page:
    Routing Table
    Use the Routing Table for routing purposes within your local network.

Atually the 3CX is in the Lan of WIFI with a 192.168.1.101, is one of PC N of your diagram

Sorry my ignorance in this matter and thanks again :roll:

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No worries.

I started of using the D-Link to be your first router in the network as it was on 192.168.0.X nework. My mistake to think that the linksys was WiFi only, it actually has some network ports aswell.

First do not run VoIP traffic over WiFi for your back bone. You will end up with latency issues. Hardwire where ever you can.

The D-Link 704P.
    In your case use virtual server.
    Yes put the 3cx IP in the forward page. I would suggest to keep the 3CX box on the same network as the D-Link, unless you want to use WiFi phones. So make the IP 192.168.0.120 for example.

Port to forward are the SIP ports. So I would recommend 5060 - 5080

===========D-Link=====================
    In your virtual server config this would look like:

Service ports: Server IP"
    5060 - 5080 192.168.0.120
    =====================================

============3CX======================
    IP address: 192.168.0.120
    Gateway: 192.168.0.118
    DNS: (what ever your ISP gave you)
    =====================================

============IP PHones===================
    IP addres: (What ever you want)
    Register Serv Addr: 192.168.0.120 (The IP addres of your 3cx server)
    Register Serv Port: 5060
    ======================================

18. mujalli

So many thanks Henk and sorry i did not see your explanation below the webpage diagram, but now is so more clear.

You are sure to not run VoIP traffic over WiFi we end up with latency issues.

So on the other side out of network just to configure the IP Phone with a extension number and password create on 3CX and use it the same IP server,, its not necessary to include the port as well?

So people of the 3CX Forum lets to think to give Henk a gift as a prize to help us so much in this Forum and for free...lot of time he spend for us...

My suggest to start a campaign to thanks Henk for all help :lol:

From my side many thanks and be welcome Henk to Brazil

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is wright, the only IP address the IP Phone needs to know is:

- Its own IP address
    - The IP address of the 3cx Server.

Re Gift, mate Just be happy and let everybody know what a nice bit of software this 3cx is.

If you really want to support me you can do that by clicking on the Google adds on one of my webpage. Cost you nothing and google pays me a bit here and there :). http://www.dayboro.info/localweather/wdl.html

Tooo easy :).

20. mujalli

Hi Henk so easy...100 times per hour its ok?

One more question:

For the IP phone on remote side to really recognize to see the 3CX server IP, its necessary some special configuration on the modem?

And its possible to admin a 3CX server via remote using it IP server more the :5060 port as an address to open access it via web browser?

I mean i go to visit you in Australia and needs to make some changes on my 3CX server host in Brazil...

Thanks and Thanks :lol: