Hide Dialled number from DID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by geoff.jukes, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoff.jukes

Hi,

Is it possible to hide the dialed number from the DID displayed on the handsets? It's just rather long, and the scrolling 'hides' the name we have assigned.

Many thanks,

Geoff

2. DBOD

Could you be more specific? Are these inbound dialed numbers or outbound calls you see this problem?

I have some Aastri 55i phones and the display has been annoying me for a year on inbound calls. I had the Ring Group name and the DID "Inbound Rule Name"prepended to the callerid. The SIP INFO field sent to the phone would look like

RingGroupName:InboundRuleName:Callerid

The three would be separated by colons. Needless to say the field could get quite long. Especially since I thought the brilliant name for the Inbound Rule name should be the DID itself. The SIP INFO field could get quite long but my Aastri 55i phones seem to have a default limit of 20 or 21 characters. It doesn't scroll. It just truncates it.

Unfortunately 3CX only allows you to append or prepend the group name to the caller ID in the General - Global Options tab
    By Group name they appear to include Queue, Group and DID names. But you have to select all three as a group and not individually. Individual selection should be a new feature request.

To make matters worse there does not appear to be a "DID name" in the setup. They appear to be referring to the "Inbound Rule Name". That should be an editorial change for them in the future.

To get rid of the "DID name" in the inbound SIP INFO field, I just emptied the "Inbound Rule Name" field under either the Inbound Rule tab or deep under the VOIP Provider tab. The field shows up under both locations. This also eliminated one of the colons. Now my SIP INFO field sent to the phone looks like

RingGroupName:CallerId

Much shorter and my staff can see the Caller Id now. Hope this helps you or someone.

3. geoff.jukes

Hi DBOD, and thank you for the reply.

Yes, this is with inbound calls, and is exactly as you described.

I had already discovered the prepend/append option, and also the DID 'Name' method. But like you, the display on some phones is quite small, and having the Caller ID in there means the 'names' scroll off the page. The CSRs have complained that they often 'miss' the DID name, because of the caller ID (which they don't care about)

My kludge-fix is to make the DID rule name longer, and repeating.

Being ably to select the display fields, or at least suppress the Caller ID, would be a +1 feature for me. But I'm new, so I daren't ask for anything :)

4. DBOD

Love the kludge.

If you don't care about the CallerId then prepend the group name. That way the DID "name" will be in the same location each time and easy to see quickly. Using the append option not only lets the CallerId come in first, but because of the variable length of the CallerId, the DID "name" then gets displayed in a random location each time. Of course you would have to keep your queue names and ring group names a fixed length also. In my setup, I don't care about the DID name. The DID dictates which ring group it goes to so I primarily want the staff to see the ring group first and the callerid second and not display a DID name at all.

5. DBOD

What kind phones are you using?

How many text lines can you display?

I just realized that some of my comments don't make sense if your phone literally scrolls up vertically and you lose info off the top of the screen. I wouldn't mind knowing how to make my phones scroll up instead of the text getting truncated on the right side. Anybody know how on a Aastra 55i?

6. geoff.jukes

We're using Polycom IP 335's - so one line, scroll left to right.

I set it to prepend the Queue and DID. It works, but it would be really nice to make Caller ID optional. I have seen a few requests for this, mostly for 'privacy' reasons - mine is simply 'I don't care' :)

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.