Hide extension caller id but send main trunk caller id instead

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by WiredElectronix, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WiredElectronix

Hi I have twilio as my sip provider and have 4 dids 3 extensions and each extension has a caller id but every once in a while ill need to call from the main trunk number instead of the extension number.

the problem is that using *5 it hides both main and extension numbers

ive tried to customize the hidden caller id field but that is not being passed to the provder so my calls are shown as unknown

How can i get this to work?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you have a number to be displayed on external calls set against an extension, then that is what is going to show, overriding the "main" number set against the trunk itself. At this point (not that I'm aware of) you can't change that behaviour with a dial code. You can create a second extension , on the set, with no number set to be displayed. Calls made from that line, should show the main number.

3. WiredElectronix

i would like to avoid this due to also having the 3cx client for mobiles

4. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

If possible, create a second trunk with caller-id -- the main trunk number, some provider allow it.
    Then use a prefix, e.g. '9' to select this trunk, if you dial without prefix you will use your primary trunk with extension caller-id being used.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If the second trunk allows a number to be sent (settings against the trunk), then the fact that the extension has an external number to be displayed, will override that. If you had a trunk, with a different provider (that didn't support sending different caller ID), or your provider could block any number (on a new trunk group), being sent, but your main number, then that would work. Tweaking the trunk outbound settings might get around this but make note of the original settings before changing things.

6. WiredElectronix

i have the free version and am a small business start up with no money for the paid one so im limited to one trunk otherwise i would do that as it would be very easy

7. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

From your setup and the requirements you have i see no way of doing this other that calling from a different extension which is easier to do if you are using 3CX clients. You can create an additional extension and send the welcome email to users that you would like to occasionally use it to make outbound calls. If you do not specify an outbound caller ID to that extension them the main trunk number will be sent. You can have more that one account on your clients but only one active. When you want to call from the main trunk number switch to that account and place the call. Once you are done switch back

8. WiredElectronix

Thanks that may just work i didnt know if there was a way to have multiple accounts on softphone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.