Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

High Availability in version 12.5

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by amohod, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amohod

Hi,

Can someone give me documentation on high availability in 3cx 12.5. Also for active/active mode can we break license. For example we need 16 simultaneous call license. Can we configure 8 license on one server and 8 license on another server?

Regards
    Avinash

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not certain, but logically, why would you want to "split" a licence over two servers? isn't the idea that one would take over completely if the other failed? If that were that case, then you would never be using both simultaneously.

I'm going to have a look into this feature a bit more myself. I don't recall any questions about this, previously, on the forum.

3. amohod

Idea of dividing license was to divide load between servers in case of Active/Active. I am not if this possible in 3cx.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not certain why you would want two server running at the same time. I would think that it would just introduce registration issues amongst many other things.

5. amohod

what is your recommendation on HA....can you share some document.

6. amohod

Any suggestions?

7. Bunce

We do the following as 3CX doesn't really seem to support 'corporate' requirements such as these very well out of the box:

• Replicate your 3CX server periodically to your DR/Secondary site (leave it switched off)
    • Ensure you use DNS names in all relevant 3CX settings, rather than IP address
    • Use the DNS name of the 3CX server in your handset provisioning templates (NB: Even though you may use a DNS name in the 3CX settings there appers to be a bug (V12 anyway) in that the DNS name is not picked up in the template variables - it always uses the IP address therefore you need to 'hard-code' the DNS name in the provisioning template)

For failover,
    • shutdown your primary 3CX server (if still running)
    • Startup the replicated copy of the 3CX server
    • Force a DNS registration (ipconfig /registerDNS) and force a replication across the domain
    • If required reboot handset to flush its DNS cache so that it point to the second 3CX server

We tested this on our Yealink T46G's and once DNS was updated on the local DC, the handsets picked up the new 3CX server and registered within a few seconds - no restart required. The T46G's actually have the flexibility to supply a backup server in its config, but as the DNS entry worked so well, we didn't need to go there.

Given 3CX config changes aren't overly frequent, a nightly replication of the 3CX server is sufficient for us - losing a days worth of logs isn't overly critical in a DR situation.

8. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

Coming in version 14 - http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/v14-virtual-pbx/

9. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Using VMware or Hyper-V can solve all high-availability concerns and should be license correct towards 3CX.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. admitionon

Why you want to do so??

11. davidbenwell

davidbenwell Active Member

We use Vmware Cluster for all our 3CX Hosted PBX services for customers.

If the node powering the 3CX PBX dies, the VM is then backup on another node and service resumes.

Will cost alot unless you choose a provider who provides this services (We do) from £99 per month.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.