high battery usage after making call even after closing 3xc

Discussion in 'Android' started by Ilia, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ilia

I am on htc tattoo, android version 1.6.

I open 3xc and it registers fine and makes very good calls. Then I exit 3xc to conserve battery. However, the system continues to use a lot of battery power for some reason. The only way that I've found to return to normal battery usage is to turn the phone off and on. Is there some bug with 3xc that keeps using the internet even after closing the app?

I had the same problem with sipagent as well. I've narrowed it down to these 2 apps only, I have nothing else running. Without opening 3xc the battery usage is at least 5 times lower.

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

To confirm whether 3CX is actually taking up all your CPU can you please do the following steps?

1) Go to the Android Market and download: "Task Manager". Because there's a lot of task managers out there, i'd suggest you download the one that has a CPU Chip Icon on it. It should be #3 in the list.

2) Once the application is installed, open the VoIP Phone and let it run in the background. Then open the task manager application which should tell you the CPU Usage of all applications.

Now if it's indeed the VoIP Phone that's causing this behavior, please try the following:
    - Go to all your 3CX Phone Profiles > Integration > Proximity sensor and Disable this.

Now try to confirm whether the battery life is the same.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ilia

Thx for the reply LeonidasG,

I just tried this and turning off the proximity sensor doesn't seem to help unfortunately. It is strange because the high battery usage continues even after turning off 3xc and it is not listed anywhere in the processes (I have SystemPanel paid version as well as TaskControl). Instead the system process seems to use more battery as a %.

CPU and network usage seem to be very slow, but I think maybe the 3xc app prevents the phone from sleeping during a call, and somehow continues to do this even after 3xc is shut down and the call is long over?

4. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

It's not possible for an application that's been closed to cause a battery drain.

Can you confirm that that the application has indeed shut down / closed?
    - Simply Close the 3CXPhone and go to Task Manager and see if you can locate the application there. It should not be listed.

Also please check what application is draining your battery by going to Settings > About > Battery Use.

You should be able to see what app is using up your battery there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Ilia

Yes the application is definitely closed. It is not listed as an active or even a cached application in SystemPanel or TaskControl. So the phone cannot detect that it is using battery.

However I believe it triggers something that from then on stops the phone from sleeping (until it is restarted) and so causing the system process (the main process in the android OS) to be using up more battery. Perhaps it keeps some background connection to the internet alive?

To reproduce this with htc tatto, simply restart the phone, open 3xc, make any short call, hang up. Then close the 3xc app and put the phone down. In less than a day the battery will be drained, whereas normally it lasts for 4-5 days for me.

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

I find this a little surprising since i have a Sony Ericsson with Android 1.6 and no such problem. You can open and close 3CX. Also Android has very clear reporting on which application is taking up battery and if you leave 3CX open it clearly shows that 3CX does not take a lot of battery time... If you close it it can not take up any battery from that point onwards.

7. elradioplanner

Similar problem in LG GW620 with Android 1.5, and Orange Boston with Android 1.6. Phone's temperature rises a lot.
    In the Boston, the most consuming app is the radio, perhaps 3CX keeps it active all the time, even if there is no ongoing call.

Best regards,

Paco

8. elradioplanner

Hi,
    yesterday I tried setting "Lock WiFi" to "Never". Even if I was not using WiFi but 3G, it seems to work!! Now battery life is more or less the usual without 3CX, and also phone temperature. I also have proximity sensor deactivated.

alia, perhaps you can try the same and tell us if it works for you.

Best regards,

Paco

9. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi,

I'll check this out and see whether something can be done about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.