• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Hold and Pick Up a call on different phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gprimr1

Reaction score
I am looking at 3CX vs FreePBX for a phone system for a volunteer fire house. One feature that we have now is if you press hold, you can pick up the phone in another part of the station.

I see FreePBX has call parks, but I was wondering if 3CX has a better way. Right now our members press hold on one phone and press the line button on another. I'm concerned that adoption may suffer if there isn't a way to do this as simple as that.

3CX has shared parking where you can park the call, and pick it up on another extension.

Depending on the phones, you can program keys to park , pickup the call.

I've been testing with Grandstream GXP2160 for the offices and 2130 for the engine bays.

I still create a set of dummy extensions which just park to the Shared Park orbits.

That way, a "fancy" phone with all the BLFs on a sidecar can see the Shared Parks as busy and whatnot, the app users will see the parked calls.. and the shop floor staff can hear a page to pick up a call on <dummy extension> without needing to do anything other than dial some extension.

Example: 101 forwards to SP1.. 102 to SP2.. etc. The receptionist person parks a call.. pages the shop floor that there's a call for Bob on 101. Bob picks up whatever phone extension and dials 101.. there's his call.

The receptionist can see the calls as BLFs on a sidecar.. as well as the phone app as SP1, SP2, etc.. and knows if/when it got picked up since the state will change. Last.. parked calls are set to return after a few minutes if left parked.

I heard feedback that the receptionist types at the front office park most of their calls.. even ones they might otherwise just hold. Just works better for their own workflow. Works for me I guess. :)

You can use dialcodes and speeddial keys to do this on 3cx.

Park a call: *0
Pickup a parked call: *1

Those are the default dialcodes, they can be changed in 3cx. So you assing *0 to one linekey / shortdial key on the phone an *1 to another one and you are set.

ian.watts said:
Example: 101 forwards to SP1.. 102 to SP2.. etc. The receptionist person parks a call.. pages the shop floor that there's a call for Bob on 101. Bob picks up whatever phone extension and dials 101.. there's his call.

This is an excellent work around but I do have to warn about a problem it has. If If a User A blind transfers Caller A to ext101 (SP1) and then User B blind transfers Caller B to ext101 (SP1) as well, then Caller A and Caller B will end up speaking with each other!!! :mrgreen:

If you only use phones that have SP keys assigned to BLF keys this will not happen.

That much is true.. and has happened once or twice. Seemed to be a fair trade-off versus the other choices. :)

Good training is usually key there.. and the front-liners doing most of the parking have been trained to use the BLFs on handsets with the SPs, or look at the parked calls in the app in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.