• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Hold Music Too Loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhillkc

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has had a problem with their (self-made) hold music being REALLY loud for external callers. I've tried just about every possible combination of file types (wav, mp3), sample rates and channels and even reduced the volume levels through a pretty sophisticated sound editor--nothing works.

All my other prompts are perfectly normal, just this one file is giving me problems. Anyone have any suggestions or a way to adjust the volume through the Media Server?

Thanks in advance for any help.

suggestions or a way to adjust the volume through the Media Server

If there was (not sure if there is) such an option it would be global so all other ones will go down aswell.

Do you have all the correct frequencies or sampling rates etc for the file?

Henk.

I believe I have, yes. I've tried multiple files (different music) on the 8.000kHz, 16 Bit Mon0 15kb/sec attributes as recommended in the manual. I've also tried a variety of others. So far, no noticeable chances.

Media server doesn't regulate loudness, it just delived audio content. It also uses exact the same procedure to playback prompts and other audio content from files. Please note that almost all phoners use automatic gain control for playback so for to get noticeably lower loudness you need to reduce amplitude up to 5-6 times or even more.

The reduce of sound (gain) can be configured on the ATA's depending which one you have.

Other question, that file that is playing loud is the same format (eg MP3 VOC etc) as the other files it plays?

use a audio editing tool to lower the gain level. i use adobe audition.

In which devices is the loudness heard ? (different SIP phones)

Is is audible in all phones on your LAN, or are you speaking of calls from the PSTN (through a specific gateway). The culprit could be a misconfigured gateway.

Your best bet is using 8KHz 16Bit wav files. This is the format the audio will be converted to before being sent across the network during a conversation. If it is not loud when played back on PC it SHOULD not be loud when heard in the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaayb512
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.