Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Hold Music

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ceruleansam, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceruleansam

Hi,

We have Professional version of 3cx and wondering how to stop the hold musc, I read somewhere you stop the media server but this seems to break the whole phone system.

any ideas will be great

2. ceruleansam

That cant be the only option, shouldnt they be a switch or something :(

3. ceruleansam

I tried creating a nomusic.wav (empty file) but wasnt sure what location to put it in , I found the onhold.wav in two folders, 1 in HTTP and 1 in Ivr

I tried in both but still having the silly hold music even after I change it in the admin settings

On both accounts I have rebooted the machine to enforce the changes.

4. alexmallia

alexmallia New Member
    3CX Support

Have you tried specifying the new wav file using the 3CX Configuration->General Settings->other (http://www.3cx.com/manual/3CXPhoneSystemManual6/phone-system69.html)

regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ceruleansam

Hi,

Yes I click browse and change it to C:\Program Files\3CX PhoneSystem\Data\Http\prompts\nomusic.wav, when I click open it says successful and to reboot the server. Even though it says prompts/onmusic.wav
    I still reboot the server and I go back there and it just says default prompts/onmusic.wav and I will still get the music

:-(

6. SWB

SWB New Member

I was tinkering with this and found 5 onhold.wav files. One was in the HTTP folder and one was in the IVR folder under the 3CX main folder. I also found 3 more onhold.wav files in folder "httpprompts". That isn't a physical folder, rather a 'containing folder' which I could extract files from. Next stopped my 3CX server, logged off and logged back in (not restarting 3CX during login). After performing another search found only 2 onhold.wav files in the HTTP and IVR folders under the 3CX main folder. I renamed them to "onhold1.wav" so 3CX wouldn't find them. Start 3CX and I found the other 3 onhold.wav files now existed in that httpprompts containing folder, so it looks like 3CX recreated them or called them from somewhere. Finally I made a call and the default on hold music was played.

So I'm confused as to how the onhold.wav file is accessed, but thought I would share.

7. ceruleansam

I will take a look at this tomorrow morning but just so I know What location should I put the new hold music in.

8. SWB

SWB New Member

I went 'behind the scenes' because uploading a new .wav file via the 3CX GUI did not work for me. This is what ceruleansam is reporting too, and I tested it on my dev/test 3CX server and got the same results. So next I was looking into how it was working to try to determine why 3CX kept playing the original on hold .wav file and not my new .wav I uploaded via the GUI.

Have you tried switching it out? We've never had to nor have I had a client request.

9. SWB

SWB New Member

I'm on the latest build - 806 using IE 7 on a Windows Server 2003 box. Switched out the .wav file via GUI and restarted 3CX. Went back and saw the .wav is now listed as "prompts/cfc.wav" (cfc.wav is my new file). Made a test call and still playing original .wav file.

I'm curious to see if ceruleansam is still getting the same result. This might be a dumb question, but is that same file played for all areas where on hold music is played? My test scenario I'm using is making a call from a Grandstream to a softphone, then putting the call on hold through the Grandstream so the softphone would hear the on hold music.

10. SWB

SWB New Member

Ya I saw the on hold issue with Grandstream 1.1.5.15, but that is saying on hold music doesn't work "well." I also have 1.1.5.16 currently. The on hold music plays fine and is clear, just not playing the file I have assigned in 3CX.

Tried substituting an .mp3 file and restarted my server, but same results. I think if 3CX was unable to play the file due to file not being there, not able to play .mp3 file format, etc. I wouldn't hear the defualt on hold music.

Guess I'll keep playing around and look around the forums to see if anyone else has experienced this. Not a big issue for me currently.

11. SWB

SWB New Member

I don't have an XP machine available, but I do have a Vista (my home computer). I'll try it on that. I know it's not running the latest 3CX build, but I'll try it both before and after I install the latest build.

12. SWB

SWB New Member

Ok tested on my Vista box running v.6 build 664 with same results. Same test scenario and I restarted 3CX, and ensured the new prompt was listed in General settings.

I would upgrade to latest build but of course you can't run both the VOIP client and the server on the same machine with that build, and I need to use that client from time to time. So I'd rather stay on this build for now. Was that resolved or are we going to be able to run both the client and server on the same box in future builds/versions?

As far as my on hold prompt issue think I'll let it go for now. I must be overlooking something but I don't know what it is as this is pretty straightforward as it comes.

13. SWB

SWB New Member

Thanks matt for all your help. Do you know of the workaround or where to get it?

14. SWB

SWB New Member

thanks!

15. SWB

SWB New Member

lol well renaming didn't work for me, but then again nothing has been working on my machines.

16. SWB

SWB New Member

I got it to work - overlooked a folder. If I have any issues with both running I'll let you know.

17. SWB

SWB New Member

Ok matt no issues experienced with the workaround for installing both server and client on the same box (or at least yet).

My curiosity to why I keep hearing the default on hold music even though I changed the file in 3CX got the best of me again, so I gave it another shot. I was able to find a discerning thing this time around though. New on hold (alternative) file selected in 3CX, restarted. If I call from a VOIP client to another VOIP client, and have one of the clients put the call on hold, the alternative on hold file I selected is played. BUT when I make a call from my Grandstream 2000 to a VOIP client, and have the Grandstream place the call on hold, I hear the default on hold music.

So something is different between the two scenarios, and it looks like each scenario is playing its own .wav file (VOIP client - VOIP client = alternative.wav, Grandstream - VOIP client = onhold.wav). For all my testing I was using the Grandstream, and it wasn't until today I tested with two VOIP clients and was able to hear the alternative .wav file I selected in 3CX.

Any thoughts?

18. SWB

SWB New Member

Well I don't know if the Grandstream would have its own on hold music because how likely would it be it has the same on hold music as 3CX? I would suspect it would be different, but I don't know. Actually I wouldn't be surprised at this point. I'm going to try some other scenarios.

The Grandstreams are ok - they are at the lower end of the totem pole, but they work all right. I was just talking to a coworker today how we haven't used any SNOMs. They seem to play best with 3CX from what I've read around the forums. Have to get one of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.