Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Home and Remote Working

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Den1s, Feb 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Den1s

Hi,

I am using the free version of 3CX and have it set up on a home network with 3 x X5G phones. We now wish to move to a Serviced Office with LAN IP's (192.168...). I want to extended our current phone system to that office by adding one or two Fanvil X5G phones to the network.

q1. Do I need to use a SBC?
    q2. If so, does the SBC require a public IP address (which we will not have)?

If I do not need an SBC, what is the best way to go about extending to the remote office?

Thanks in advance.

Denis

2. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @Den1s

Please clarify what you mean by:
    You can connect them either with STUN or SBC. That depends on what you need. SBC requires an extra machine but minimum network configuration. STUN does not require extra hardware but requires network configuration to work properly. In any case you will need an internet connection on both sites.

3. Den1s

Thank you for your quick response.

Is a public IP mandatory or can I use a local address?

4. Sander Foekema

if the phones are connected in the same lan you can use the local 3cx address. for remote extensions use stun or a sbc

5. Den1s

Sander. Thank you for your response. The office we are going to will provide us an internal LAN address such as 192.168.2.10. I will create a SBC and connect to that. Am I correct in saying that I can connect the SBC to this IP address at the remote office and do not require a public IP e.g. 83.13.98.10? Sorry to keep asking.

6. Sander Foekema

at the remote office the phones register on the SBC.

The SBC will route to the 3CX at the ''main'' office. each location does have a public address, the SBC 'll take care of this because it setup a tunnel to the 3CX server.

The Tunnel protocol is designed to eliminate NAT traversal problems and reduce Firewall configuration work to a minimum. There is only one Firewall setting that needs to be made – we must forward the TCP Tunnel port (set by default to 5090) to the PBX.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If it is just a couple of sets at the remote location, you may be able to get way without using the SBC, and using STUN. Each set will have to have a unique port number assigned. Just keep in mind, from the PBX perspective, each set is addresses by PublicIP: port, and you should see this in the 3CX activity log when the set(s) register The type of router, and it's settings, along with any firewall, at the remote end can make a difference. Worse case scenario is probably going to be a lack of audio in one direction, which would mean bringing in an SBC.

Using the extension setting of "PBX delivers audio" can overcome some issues. Calls between both extensions at the remote location might have a problem if you don't use that setting, but traffic will be increased to and from the PBX, if that is a concern.

#7 leejor, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  8. Den1s

OK. That's great. Thanks.

9. Sopock

Sopock Member

Is that some kind of VPN?:confused:
    https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/3cx-sbc-needs-a-vpn.41787/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #9 Sopock, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.