• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Home and Remote Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Den1s

Customer
Reaction score
Hi,

I am using the free version of 3CX and have it set up on a home network with 3 x X5G phones. We now wish to move to a Serviced Office with LAN IP's (192.168...). I want to extended our current phone system to that office by adding one or two Fanvil X5G phones to the network.

q1. Do I need to use a SBC?
q2. If so, does the SBC require a public IP address (which we will not have)?

If I do not need an SBC, what is the best way to go about extending to the remote office?

Thanks in advance.

Denis

Hello @Den1s

Please clarify what you mean by:
q2. If so, does the SBC require a public IP address (which we will not have)?
You can connect them either with STUN or SBC. That depends on what you need. SBC requires an extra machine but minimum network configuration. STUN does not require extra hardware but requires network configuration to work properly. In any case you will need an internet connection on both sites.

Thank you for your quick response.

Is a public IP mandatory or can I use a local address?

if the phones are connected in the same lan you can use the local 3cx address. for remote extensions use stun or a sbc

Sander. Thank you for your response. The office we are going to will provide us an internal LAN address such as 192.168.2.10. I will create a SBC and connect to that. Am I correct in saying that I can connect the SBC to this IP address at the remote office and do not require a public IP e.g. 83.13.98.10? Sorry to keep asking.

at the remote office the phones register on the SBC.

The SBC will route to the 3CX at the ''main'' office. each location does have a public address, the SBC 'll take care of this because it setup a tunnel to the 3CX server.

The Tunnel protocol is designed to eliminate NAT traversal problems and reduce Firewall configuration work to a minimum. There is only one Firewall setting that needs to be made – we must forward the TCP Tunnel port (set by default to 5090) to the PBX.

If it is just a couple of sets at the remote location, you may be able to get way without using the SBC, and using STUN. Each set will have to have a unique port number assigned. Just keep in mind, from the PBX perspective, each set is addresses by PublicIP: port, and you should see this in the 3CX activity log when the set(s) register The type of router, and it's settings, along with any firewall, at the remote end can make a difference. Worse case scenario is probably going to be a lack of audio in one direction, which would mean bringing in an SBC.

Using the extension setting of "PBX delivers audio" can overcome some issues. Calls between both extensions at the remote location might have a problem if you don't use that setting, but traffic will be increased to and from the PBX, if that is a concern.

Last edited:
OK. That's great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.