Home Worker to use analogue line

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ziptalk, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

All,

I have a 3CX system deployed in the office with 3 remote home workers. They connect back to the LAN via VPN and I have put in place the necessary routes to enable the home workers to call each other from their remote home networks. All is good.

However :lol:

I would like for the home workers to use their local PSTN analogue line for outbound calls to clients.

I have looked at the Linksys SPA3102 to do this. However I have some questions:

Should I add it to the 3CX as a PSTN gateway, and use an outbound code ?
    Note: This requires the VPN to be connected, and also not scalable with the prefix outbound rule

OR

Can I configure the IP Phone to use the 3CX for Line 1, and Line 2 uses the locally attached SPA3102 to route via PSTN
    Note: I lose the outbound DDI Range being contiguous with the main office, but that's not of major concern.

If anyone has a solution for my requirement or can comment on my proposed solution above that would help me greatly.

Thanks,

Lewis

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. amygoda

amygoda Member

Hello,
    with vpn every thing can work as you're at the office

remote spa3102 can work very good as ip phone(fxs)
    I tried before to connect it as a remote pstn (fxo)

it worked but with a bulk settings with the router
    but officialy it's not tested from 3cx

3. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

Depending on the latency rate, I would setup the trunks in 3CX and setup outbound rules to limit the trunks only to the users they belong to. I would also set them up so that if there primary route is the PSTN, and the secondary is VoIP. Eliminates a point of failure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

Ah good idea, I didn't remember you can lock the trunks down.

It does however consume a prefix dial, so if I have more than 10 home workers, i'm stuck ? unless you can think of any way around that ?

5. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

You can put them all under one prefix I think, you would just need to specify the extension its coming from in the rules.

6. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

I got a Linksys ATA adapter, 3000 I think it is, going to have a play this evening. Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how I get on.

7. tpinnovations

tpinnovations Member

Let me know how it works out for you.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You can set up the dialplan within the 3102 to route some calls to the 3CX via VoIP and some calls out on the PSTN line.

9. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

I'm going to have a play tonight with the 3000 SPA unit, I think they share a lot of similarities with features, so hopefully I'll give that a try what you suggested. Thanks, Lewis

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Do you have the admin guide? http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.steel/voip/SPA_Admn_3102.pdf
    I have both the 3000 and 3102 and they are VERY similar with exception of the added router on the 3102. Most other features can be migrated from one to the other. If you need the admin guide for the 3000, PM me.

11. ziptalk

ziptalk New Member

Thanks, I need the 3000 one first since that's the unit I have, i'll download of the Linksys site, but will grab that one as that's the one i think i will purchase if this works.

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This Cisco page has some examples of sending calls to the PSTN line or the VoIP line.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10024/products_qanda_item09186a0080a359c4.shtml

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.