Hosted system fails after windows updates

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by full2, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. full2

Is there a correct path for doing windows updates after a we install the system. This is the second time that I am now having to backup remove and resinstall the system. I get a bunch of services that fail to start (config Service, parking orbit, queue manager, sip/tunnel proxy) for each instance on the box. I have been down all day. Also attached is the screen shot of the web error that happens.

Attached Files:

2. tsukraw

tsukraw New Member

My recommendation is turn windows updates off and don't do them unless there is a specific update that is needed for something.

To me a phone system is a very straight forward task that 99% of windows updates do not really apply to.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

This has nothing to do with windows updates.
    If the Configuration service or Database service is unable to start, then all other dependencies will not start.
    So when you have a situation like this (bunch of services not starting), you need to first check (Right click > Services > properties) which are the dependent services.

Go up the hierarchy tree and find the core services (Database service). is that started? If yes go to configuration service. is that started ?

Probably you have some port conflict or some other application is using a port that we need.
    What else do you have installed on this OS?

Let us know - we also contacted you via email to check your system

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 3cxBora

How safe is it to turn off Windows Updates after you install 3cx v14? Microsoft keeps releasing now security updates and we don't if we can ignore since 3cx host is online but the updates can also conflict with the 3cx software.

anyone can comments if they update Windows server 2012 R2 each month without issues?

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As a rule, I will only do Microsoft updates manually. There are too many that require a re-start to allow them to be applied without your say-so. I usually look into what each update does, as well as keeping up-to-date on "warnings", from other Windows users regarding certain updates. Security updates are one thing, but recently Microsoft has been criticized for a number of updates that do more that simply improve the OS (depending on the version you are using). Because of this I have avoided Windows 10 (non-enterprise) with its mandatory updates.

Just my two cents worth...

6. 3cxBora

Will Windows Updates break the 3cx installation? That is my main concern when MS has security updates for dot net and other security patches.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would think that if there were concerns over a specific patch, causing problems, that there would be an announcement (warning) from 3CX, along with a lot of upset customers.

I have never seen anything like that, to this point

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.