Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Hosting in data center with DR

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by venkman, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venkman

Hi,

I'm trying to get an idea of whether the 3CX system will fit our business needs.

We need a system that will allow business continuity in the event of a disaster, and was wondering whether anyone could help me out with some possible system designs.

We have 2 datacentres, one on site and one remote. The system we'd like to implement would look like this:

- 3CX installed in remote datacentre on virtual machine (Win2012)
    - All IP phones connect to the system over the Internet
    - If the remote datacentre goes down, we can failover to a virtual machine in the on site datacentre and continue to receive /make calls

Is this feasible? If so, how would the failover work in terms of SIP trunks etc?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Making calls, from a back-up server, isn't the problem, you could have any number of services, PSTN gateways, or VoIP providers ready to go. Receiving calls, using the same number, may require some co-operation from your VoIP provider. If it is a matter of the new server simply registering with them, when the "main" PBX stops, then many can deal with that. If some sort of authentication (Public IP?) is involved, then you may be able to arrange that ahead of time. The ability to do this may require that you narrow down which provider you end up choosing.

You also have to have a system in place that allows the sets to change the registration destination, either automatically, or manually. Other forum members have come up with a number of different solutions if you do some searching.

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Are you in the US? SigmaVoIP can provision you two accounts - and put in a disaster recovery route to the backup registration using the same DID. Within seconds calls would be flowing to the backup registration.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. venkman

Thank you both, this is very helpful info. I'm not in the US, I'm in the UK ... we will however be going down the route of getting a provider that can install the 3CX system and provide SIP/VoIP, so I'm hoping this will make things easier.

I just wanted to find out if it was possible before spending lots of time gathering quotations etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.