• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Hot desking concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rami.Hachem

Reaction score
As i have read, Hot desking just works with Yealink phones.

Please correct me if i'm wrong...
I see that 3CX ties the user to the phone all the time... whenever you create a user, there is a tab for the phone to fill in. so it seems there is a limitation there.

Here how other phone systems that we dealt with work with "Hot desking", their users are separate from the phones. If you want to create a phone, you have a phone "container", you fill the name of the phone, the extension, MAC address and the model of the phone. when the phone boots up and gets it is option 66 from DHCP, it finds it's boot server, find itself based on the MAC address and provisions itself.

now for the concept of Hot desking (multiple users using the same phone/desk), They name the phone name to the computer name. if the computer name is JohnSmithPC, the name of the phone will be JohnSmithPC.
So when any agent logs in to the computer and starts the phone client (software), the phone client will get the computer name (which is the same name as the phone that is sitting next to the computer), will get the username of the agent and logs itself in.

so anytime "ANY" agent logs in any computer, the same process happens to any phone model.
that way, when a call comes in and the call is directed to an agent (direct call or a queue call), the phone system will see that JohnSmith (username) is logged in to JohnSmithPC phone, so the system will alert the phone client on the PC and ring the phone.

Rami

You can just simply change the accounts in the phones, many have more than one account making hot desking possible.

You can just simply change the accounts in the phones, many have more than one account making hot desking possible. I have a yeahlink in a office two different people utilize with no issues simply change to the new account when a differenet person sits at the desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.