Hot-line extension - create a call by contact closure

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by 3CXfoxhallsolutions, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

I've got a customer who wants to integrate pull-cord alarms in disabled bathrooms, with his 3CX phone system. He wants to have the cord-pull generate an automatic call to a 3CX extension (or extension group) ... So - in essence, the contact closure would be like the hook-switch on an old analogue hot-line i.e. lifting the handset generates a call to a pre-defined number ...

Note - no audio required, we'd use 3CX to display the ID of the calling extension i.e. the alarm that had been triggered - on the receiving phone, telling the user where to go to assist ...

I guess this would need to be done by some sort of Analogue Terminal Adapter ... but the ATA would need some smarts to be able to push out the number sequence when it sees an off-hook situation ... Or - is there a way to make 3CX automatically connect an extension to another - when it sees that extension go off hook???

Anybody got any ideas in regard to this scenario???

Thanks in advance ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Many ATA's can be programmed to "speed-call" a number when the handset goes off-hook. I know for certain that the Cisco/Linksys ones can... 2102/PAP2T, etc.

It is set-up in the dialplan of the device in a similar manner to how the PSTN portion of a SPA-3102 "sends" an incoming call to 3CX.

You would simply require a switch, and a resistor, to simulate the set.

3. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

Thanks for that ... I see what you mean! Careful editing of the dial-plan can make it effectively insert a dialing string rather than just waiting for some digits from the attached phone.

I'm also looking at a product by a company called Viking, a K-2000-DVA voice dialler - which can take 8 alarm contacts, and then for each contact you can program a voice prompt and up to 8 target numbers. You can then attach that to 3CX via an ATA ... Expensive tho' so thanks for the reminder about the PAP2T.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If the extension, at the receiving end, has call display. then the "name" of the calling extension could be something like "ALARM BATHROOM 201" , or ,the extension number could be the same as the unit number activating the alarm which would leave more room for the description.

5. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

That was the easy bit, and what makes the idea so attractive - that and being able to sim-ring a bunch of DECT mobile extensions.
    I've found info about setting the dial-plan for the Cisco-Linksys ATA, it looks like it just has to be:

( <:extension>S0 )

... with 'extension' replaced by the number you want to call - and that's your hotline.

One last question Leejor - you mentioned "a resistor to simulate the set" ... what value???

Thanks

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Without getting out an ohm meter, I believe it is about 200 to 300 ohms, off hook resistance. You can confirm that on any set yourself with a meter. It is just not a good idea, for the ATA's lifespan, to put a dead short across tip and ring. It may have some inbuilt protection, but a resistor is cheap.

7. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.