How are Users Dealing wiht HOLD

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by tjabaut, Aug 21, 2007.

1. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

This might sound like a very rudimentary question, but I am having a hard time grasping it. I have a client that would like to mimic their line based system that they currently have.

What they want is when someone calls inbound they place them on HOLD. They then page the factory floor to have JohnDoe pickup on LINE1.

I understand that this can be done by transferring, but with lack of shared line appearances and a call parking lot; how are users currently dealing with this.

Or am I just having one of those moments?

2. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

Call park not supported at this time as per http://www.3cx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2143&highlight=call+park and I quote:
    Having said that, I would be very pleased if this function is added sooner rather than later.

3. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

Right, I know it is not supported as my original question stated. (Sorry not trying to be rude).

What I am trying to find out is if anyone in the community has any creative workarounds for this scenario.

4. Mirzab

Mirzab Member

Well if you really need a work around, all I can think of is this:

Create some extensions in a reasonable sequence (301,302,303,etc) and configure to ring for a long time if unanswered, install a softphone on the 3CX server PC and have it log in / register all these extensions (Eyebeam Pro version can handle up to 10 SIP accounts on one phone I believe). Park your calls by transferring to unused extension, page as "Take call on 30x" (that sort of concept). Call can be picked up by dialling 910030X from any extension and this dial code can be modified to something easier if you wish. I have never tried this but I expect it would work since 3CX does support call transfer and pickup so the key thing is to create a "parking space" :lol:

5. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

Mirzab,

Great idea. I have yet to try it, but in theory it should work. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to do it without the whole softphone part, but you have given me something to think about.

6. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Why would you not be able to use a transfer for this?

put the call on hold, call the other line and then put the call through? Also, if the person putting the calls through is at a computer, they can use the call assistant to see the status of all extensions easily.

We are working on Call Park feature but i still think that this possible using transfer...

7. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

Well the problem is a lot of my users are not bound to a desk. They roam all over a production floor and need to be able to pick up the Parked call at any extension they happen upon.

8. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

OK, i understood now why - in the new version we will have call park implemented...

9. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

Thanks Nick, that would be great. Any idea on a timeline for the next version?