How can I do this?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MikeMelga, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeMelga

Hi.

I think I have the basics of 3CX covered.
    I've been using it for a couple of months with no major problems.

There are two things that I still haven't managed to do with 3CX and that I really need:

1 - The ability to notify an external application (running script, tcp communication....anything) of ALL incoming calls. I can do this with 3CX Myphone but only for calls to the extension set up. How can I do this for ALL calls?

2 - How can I set a prompt of a digital receptionist to an external application? I would like the ability to call an extension and, for example, be greeted with some option like "Press 1 to open gate, 2 to turn on the lights,....". To do this I need a way out of 3CX. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Mike

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

You might take a look at the CDR output. This can be found in the settings, advanced section

As far as getting out of the 3CX system externally, you can always set a dummy extension and then have the extension dial an external number (or even a remote SIP endpoint, for that matter). The extension will exist within the DR possible responses, but because it is never really registered, the rule for an unregistered phone will kick in. The issue will be finding the device at the remote end that will auto-answer and then provide the actions you seek to include the interface to the device that you wish to control.

3. MikeMelga

lneblett,

Thanks for your reply.
    I will look into CDR output. From what I've seen I guess it will work for the call monitoring.

About the second item.... you completely lost me at some point. You suggest I dial another line?

When I was seeing the CDR option...I though of another option: if I set up virtual extensions and have the DR forward to those extensions by DTMF query... will these be included in the CDR output? If so, I could set up a script that started on the reception of call on that extension.

Would it work?

Also... I still haven't found how can I (if it is possible) dial a number and play a predefined recording/wave. Is it possible?

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Mike

4. lneblett

The CDR should reflect all calls.

As far as the DR issue, I misread it and instead of external "application", immediately thought of an external number upon seeing the "out of 3CX". In any event, I think the answer has some relevance.

The issue is that at the end of the day, you want to trigger a physical action (turn on a light, open a door, etc.). The recording you want simply provides the instructions on which key is needed to enact the desired action. The question becomes what interface is needed to initiate the physical action - a contact relay of some type(?) and if there is some need for added protection to prevent anyone from simply pushing the correct DR key?

My suggestion of setting up a dummy extension can get you "out of 3CX". As the DR may have key 1 programmed to extension 200 for instance. Extension 200 is created in the system, but a phone is never programmed for such and never connected. As such, extension 200 always remains unregistered and the calls that otherwise would be sent to extension 200 instead follow the rule for an unregistered or busy extension which could be set to forward to another extension (local or remote) or an external number.

Once forwarded to the far-end device (extension or number), the device would be something that will now answer the call and then initiate the action needed. Each application will likely have unique needs and therefor some differences in hardware and because it is not noted if the devices will reside within the 3CX connected network or if totally external I am uncertain if 3CX really needs to be involved. Even an analog terminal adapter might come into play or a SIP endpoint with alarm contacts.

What you presented was a general desire of being able to use the system in some fashion to drive external actions, but the devil lies in the details.

5. MikeMelga

lneblett,

That would require an external way to process calls. I don't want that.

One other question: the CDR output triggers on the reception of a call or just when the call ends?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Mike

6. lneblett

As to the first issue, the devices you wish to control are external. The same could be said for the phone handsets. By definition, they do the same thing, the difference being that all the functionality is contained within one physical package. Nevertheless, the device does take a signal and then via an D to A interface and an A to D interface make the signals usable so you can hear people and conversely speak to them as well.

As to the second issue look here:
    http://www.3cx.com/manual/3CXHotelModuleManual.pdf
    and also look at the blog for CDR and SMDR.

It appears that the activity is triggered by the initiation of a call, but is not "output" till call termination. However, you may be able to modify some of the templates to get what you want.

7. MikeMelga

lneblett,

I'll look into it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.