How do I change FQDN?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Alejandro, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alejandro

Hello people,

I have some Problems concerning connection, and I've come to think it has to do with the FQDN. So we still have the IP Address and the domain sip.iai.int, but now we have a sip trunk contract with the local telephone company ANTEL. We have therefore a new IP and in 3CX we still have configured the FQDN but we have not as of yet changed the Domain registration so that it points to the new IP, and we haven't got a new certificate for it. Would that be causing the connection problems?

2. Thomas Park

Hi Alejandro,

Is sip.iai.int meant to point at your SIP Provider? If so then you will need to update the IP address on the subdomain to match the new on from your sip provider. If the sip.iai.int is your 3CX Phone System then I don't think that is the problem.

Your new SIP Provider should have given you some account details and settings that you need to put into your system, these should include a Identification Method Username and Password / IP Address outbound IP (Proxy). You will need these details to register you SIP Trunk.

For changing the domain of your 3CX Installation you will need to take a backup of the system configuration, uninstall 3CX from your server and re-install 3CX and select restore from backup during the setup wizard. You will need to de-associate the FQDN from you IP Address if your public IP Address of your 3CX Phone System has changed.

If I have got your issue completely wrong then please provide us with more detail to allow us to better understand and assist your with your issue. From what I am reading I am assuming that is an issue with SIP Trunk registration.

Kind Regards,.
    Tom

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Alejandro

Hi Thomas,
    1.- sip.iai.int <-> 190.64.77.165 this IP belongs to us (IAI). The domain iai.int is therefore our domain, and the subdomain sip was originally our elastix 2.4.
    2.- What I think we should have is a change both in the DNS so that sip.iai.int is now 200.2.59.206 (the new address we got from Antel together with the sip trunk contract).
    3.- Antel does not use the combination user/password, they do not use the sip registration. They send an OPTION Message as Heartbeat and our 3CX should automatically answer wit "200 OK". This at first made me think we were not registering against the sip server, it still does not show as registered in the 3CX GUI, but calls get through.
    4.- I recon from what you wrote, that I will need to back up 3CX, reinstall and restore from backup, not only change it in the DNS. Am I right?
    5.- Three new questions have aroused. Please tell me if I should post different threads for them...
    a.- Both calls between extensions and external calls (both ways) get through, but I have voice bidirectionaly on internal calls but no voice in any way on external calls, how do I solve this?
    b.- Firewall checker fails already at start by resolving stun server. Although we have a static public address I have populated the lines for stun server with 3cx stun servers. Somehow they are not being found. How do I solve this?
    c.- At the time being I'm just testing with one Cell Phone with the 3CX Client, it does not register not with the local address over wifi, not with the public ip over LTS. How do I solve this?
    Thanks in advance for any answers.
    Regards,
    Alejandro

4. Thomas Park

Hi Alejandro,

What should be the public FQDN of your 3CX System?
    Should this be sip.iai.int?

When your firewall check fails can it see access on port 5001/5000/5060/5090?
    Also what codec does your SIP Provider Support and are these enabled under the sip trunk configuration within the Management Console?
    Also what country are you based in?

Sorry for all the question but I'm trying to build a better understanding of how your system is configured to enable me to assist you better with troubleshooting this issue.

Kind Regards,
    Tom

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Alejandro

Hi Thomas,

The public FQDN of our 3CX System is STILL sip.iai.int, only if you ping it it still resolves to the old address of 190.64.77.165.
    I realize I have to change that on the DNS.

No idea. The firewall checker does not go on after failing on that very first line. But I know I've opened all needed ports in the iptables of the host, and since I've bridged the whole thing I'm not natting. The VM is being seen as part of the network. Although I must say the LAN address answers a ping whereas the public IP doesn't... although I think it should...

Uruguay, South America.

Regards,
    Alejandro

ANTEL uses G.711 and T.38... since we have no fax I have only configured G.711.

6. Thomas Park

Hi Alejandro,

First things first, lets get your sip.iai.int resolving to the correct IP Address. Do you still own / have access to the original IP?

Can you also post or PM me your external IP Configuration including Subnet and default gateway.

If you have opened all ports in IPTABLES then you should be able to browse to https://200.2.59.206:5001/ in a web browser. I have tried it from here and I am not able to. The only way it will reply to a ping is if the ECHO request is enabled which is a ICMP protocol within the firewall. You don't need ping to reply for this to work. I don't allow my servers to reply to ping.

Once you the changed IP within DNS as I'm assuming you are not running a production system on the sip.iai.int then we can start moving forward with fixing the issue with the SIP Trunk. Once we are able to see the system externally / access the management console then we can start looking at why the SIP is not registering. As I am not able to see the Management Console remotely on ever IP Address then this might be a network configuration issue that is stopping the system from connecting to the internet which in turn even thoughthe system is making calls and receiving them it is not able to pass audio correctly.

Kind Regards,
    Tom

7. Alejandro

We still own that original IP, but it's not me who manages that. I've got in touch with the guy who does, who sits across "the pond" in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The web server, the mail server and the DNS are co-located in his enterprise and he takes care of all of that... as soon as he has changed or at least de-associated the FQDN form that old IP I will see to it that it resolves correctly.
    I have opened all needed ports (as shown in: https://www.3cx.com/docs/3cx-phone-system-v14-ports/ ) in the iptables.
    Just for understanding:
    Host has 2 physical nics. /etc/network/interfaces says:

" auto br0
    iface br0 inet static
    address 192.168.xxx.xxx
    network 192.168.xxx.xxx
    broadcast 192.168.xxx.xxx
    gateway 192.168.xxx.xxx
    bridge_ports em1
    bridge_stp on
    bridge_fd 9
    bridge_hello 2
    bridge_maxage 12

auto br1
    iface br1 inet static
    address 200.2.59.206
    gateway 200.2.59.205
    bridge_ports em2
    bridge_stp on
    bridge_fd 9
    bridge_hello 2
    bridge_maxage 12
    "
    The VM has to virtual nics, each directly connected to one of these physical nics.
    The iptable on the hosts does no natting. All needed ports have been opened and icmp is allowed on both nics.
    Br0 on the host is connected to our LAN vía fortigate appliance, br1 is directly connected to a modem to which I have no administrative entry. Only Antel's personnel are allowed to manage it.
    sip.iai.int runs in a VM which should be active as of last week, but we can only make calls between extensions... I'm having quite a lot of pressure from our boss on this.
    On the same host we have a BigBlueButton running with no problems whatsoever. Both 3CX and BigBlueButton tun on the same Network which is in the DMZ of the fortigate. BigBlueButton uses only this one way out, 3CX relies on the one eth0 (pointing to the fortigate) to reach the rest local extensions and to reach the internet for updates and on eth1 (pointing to the modem of the optic fibre) to reach the sip server from provider. This way out does not reach anything other than the sip server.
    Regards,
    Alejandro

8. Thomas Park

Hi Alejandro,

OK a couple of things that are missing from the Bridge Config both are missing the NETMASK and the BR1 is missing the broadcast too. Can you also try removing the bridge so you have eth0 and eth1 as the only network connections. Then try disabling the internal interface and try pinging google.com or 8.8.8.8 and see if this resolves.

Can you let me know the results of this please.

Kind Regards,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.