How do I configure a Cisco router without SDM (HTML)?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by newlifecc, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newlifecc

The instructions (How do I configure a CISCO router for to allow connection to a VOIP provider?) assume having the sdm software. I do not.

My configuration is a Cisco 827 with SBS (2 nics).
    Cisco 827: 166.xxx.xxx.73
    External Nic: 166.xxx.xxx.74 Gateway 166.xxx.xxx.73
    Internal Nic: 192.168.xxx.2

I understand how to use hyperterminal, etc; but every combination of ip nats I have tried do not work. Please help!

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

The guide describes which port you should open on the Cisco router. If you only have the command line interface then you will have to use the command line to achieve the same thing on the Cisco. Unfortunately we can not give you a step by step guide to configure the Cisco in command line, that would go beyond the scope of this forum.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Halea

Halea New Member

Are you sure that your Cisco 827 is setup in router mode and not in bridge mode to begin with? Depending upon who is providing your Internet service and what class of service you have there is a strong probability that your 827 is configured in bridge mode and there is nothing to do on it. It's quite rare that on consumer class CPE the WAN access features are controlled from the client gateway. Are we dealing with a high end setup here or a consumer level configuration?
    If you are in the US, you have a consumer grade ADSL line (even most "business" class lines) there is a high probability that you are connected to your ISP in bridge mode and there are no ports to open or to close on your equipment.
    10 years ago my ADSL line was configured with a Cisco router similar to yours in router mode, it required several public IP addresses to run in that configuration. A few years down the road the telco reconfigured the line and my Cisco to run in bridge mode with just 1 public IP.
    Give us more info, especially whether you have a single public IP from your ISP or a subnet with multiple addresses. I am puzzled because if you indeed had a subnet and your ADSL CPE was indeed setup in true router mode, you would have had to address this issue for your other servers and you would have had a handle over it.
    Halea

4. newlifecc

I am reasonably confident that it is running in router mode.

The Cisco has its own IP Address: 166.xxx.xxx.73. The SBS has an IP accessible to the outside: 166.xxx.xxx.74.
    Basically everything (in the original configuration) flowed through the router to the SBS firewall.

With its current setup, I have attempted to use Routing and Remote Access to forward the necessary ports to my 3CX server, but the 'Firewall Test' failed with errors 8 &10 for each port.

My new strategy was to use the router to send www ports to my SBS and send 3CX ports to its respective server, but after several attempts, I'm really sure what to try next.

Any help is appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.