Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

How do I do a warm transfer?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by L Monroe, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L Monroe

Here's what we need

Customer calls Agent A, both are connected. The customer needs to speak with Agent B.
    Agent A puts them on hold, calls Agent B. Agent A and B are now connected, Customer is on hold.
    Agent A then brings the customer on the line, so all 3 are connected.
    Agent A can then hand off the call "Thanks for holding Customer, I have Agent B on the line to further assist you, go ahead Agent B"
    Agent A then drops off the call.

Att. Transfer doesn't work for this since Agent A drops off as soon as the Customer and Agent B are connected. Conference doesn't work either, as that just calls Agent B and shows "Conference" with the main line on the caller ID and then all 3 are connected with no introduction.

The only way around this I've seen is putting Customer on hold, calling Agent B, if they are available and ready for the call then hang up with them, go back to Customer A, and then use Conference and dial Agent B which just throws them on the line.

Not really ideal in a call centre environment as we need to actually introduce the parties and make sure they are connected. Att. Transfer also has the issue in that Agent B doesn't know the customer is on the line really and sometimes will be like "are you bringing the customer on?" and the customer is already on the line.

Trying to do it the way our Avaya IP Office does it but doesn't seem like this is possible?

Also how do I even just bring a 3rd person on the line? Like normally you'd press Conference, dial the person, then press Conference again. If I use the Conference button in 3CX the caller ID sent to the person says "Conference" and our main line. How would I have it show the 3CX users caller ID since most customers won't answer if the caller ID says "Conference" as they'd have no idea who is calling them...

#1 L Monroe, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. us1

us1

What you're describing isn't an "attended transfer," per se (as you described). An attended transfer is when you speak to the receiving party prior to letting them know you are transferring a call. What you're wanting to do is a "warm transfer."

In 3cx parlance, this is a conference call. When you create the conference, the first party will go on hold while you dial the next party. You may speak to the new party and then either switch back and forth to speak privately with each party individdually OR join them together in the conference. All three will be able to speak. When you are done, you simply hang up and the other two will continue talking.

3. L Monroe

Thanks, I've only been able to get conference to work in 2 ways, and neither are really what we want. Am I doing this wrong?

First way:
    I'm on the phone with someone, I press Conference. It delays for a sec then puts us in the conference room and the screen is asking for me to enter numbers of people to add. If I type in someones number and press next, the system calls them. If they answer, all 3 of us are connected. There's 2 problems with this one 1) The caller ID sent to the people being added says "Conference" and our main line, and not what my extension settings are (My name and DID). And 2) as soon as the person answers all 3 are connected. We need to actually talk first and say "is it okay if I bring you on the line?"

Second way:
    Same thing, on the phone with someone I press conference which puts us into a conference room. Instead of adding someone else here, I click the dial pad and then click Line 2 and dial someone there. Once I speak with them, I press Conference to add them to the conference room and now all 3 are connected. If I hang up, their calls are dropped as far as I can tell. This way seems to work, but employees complain it's too complicated to remember.

Our other 3 offices use Cisco, Avaya and Asterisk, and on all 3 of them you'd just be speaking with one person, press Conference which gives you a dial tone and puts them on hold, you dial the new person, speak with them, and press Conference again and all 3 people are connected. I can simply hang up at any time and the other 2 remain connected. That's ideally what we want, and assumed we could do with 3CX.

4. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Probably you could do it similarly to Cisco, Avaya and others with IP phones and conference button found on the phone, if any available -- this is a 3-way conference made by phone, not by 3CX PBX. Some phones are supporting even a 5-way conference. However you will not be able to leave such conference (made by phone), as it will disconnect all the participants.

Please note also that 3CX conference behavior changed into v15.5 SP2 -- it is now more difficult to create an ad-hoc conference and is expected this to be improved in SP3 when released.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 sip.bg, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  5. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @L Monroe

If the conference is initiated from the 3CX client then you can hang up and the conference will stay active. If you do it from an IP phone that will depend on the brand of the phone. Some phone hold the conference in the device while some others put the conference to the PBX conference server.

I believe that the closest to what you want to achieve is done through the 3CX client. Let's assume you receive a call on line 1 and you while you are in the conversation you want to add another person to the call. Open line 2 and call the person. Now the caller on Line 1 is on hold and you are in a call with the second person. Now to add them to a conference call simply press the conference button on line 2 and then open line 1 and press the conference button again. Now all 3 participants are in a conference call. If you want to leave the conference call simply hang up the phone. The other 2 participants will still be in the conference call. You will still be able to see the call in the conference menu and manage it or even rejoin the call if necessary.

sip.bg likes this.
  6. L Monroe

Great thanks I think this will work then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.