• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

How do I integrate Voice modem for real world communication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKJoy2001

Reaction score
I have successfully set up 3CX Phone System IP PBX on my local network, and it is working perfectly.

Now I need to provide my extensions/clients/softphones with real world telephone communication. I have an USB 3G GSM Voice Modem (Huawei E303) which is working perfectly as well, both with Data and Voice services (tested by the software came with it).

I need your advice on how do I integrate this GSM Voice capable hardware (modem) with the existing 3CX Phone System. The official guide from 3CX says I need a VoIP Gateway to achieve this. I believe they meant some software which will bridge the hardware mechanism with the SIP end. What could be that software? I am using Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I would prefer a freeware interface.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How do I integrate Voice modem for real world communicat

You won't be using the GSM voice capabilities of your modem as I'm sure that it doesn't "handle" SIP.

The modem is going to give the computer running it, a data connection to the internet. if that connection can be used by other devices on your network, then it might work. However, there are a number of ports that require forwarding (normally done in the router) , so I'm not sure how your network configuration would allow this.

If the modem is running on the computer that is also running the 3CX PBX, then, if the modem speed is sufficient, you could subscribe to a VoIP provider, and create some trunks. One of the problems is that you are left with one public Ip but no internal LAN for extensions. There are devices that become a wireless 3G router upon the insertion of a SIM card, something like that would probably have a better chance of success.

Oktell SIP-GSM (freeware) should give you an idea of what I am talking about. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize my voice modem!

3CX Phone System <=> [Some software VoIP gateway solution?] <=> GSM Voice modem

I believe that ultimately, you are trying to simulate a GSM VoIP gateway, which with your device, is not going to work. Your modem is for data and may also allow voice calls (using a headset) on the PC it is plugged into. To create a trunk in 3CX requires a SIP gateway (GSM, BRI, PRI, PSTN), or a VoIP provider.

If there was some software available that would do what you are trying to achieve then it would be specifically written for use with your particular device and would be offered as a feature.

So if the manufacturer doesn't have anything like that available, then you are out of luck.

I do understand what you are suggesting, and it is also very clearly spelled on the official documentation, as one of the three options.

However, to be honest, in this case, as mine, if there is no way 3CX can attach to a physical phone line without depending on a 3rd party VoIP gateway, the total idea is just impractical for a real life solution.

I am trying to implement this in a small hospital, where they will have extensions to cabins, reception and a few others. The only thing they need more is, even if a single channel/line, a way to receive real phone (GSM) calls from out side, and the other way. And there is no INTERNET involved here.

Now that if they need to purchase another piece of expensive hardware, purchase 3rd party VoIP services with a regular expense, it is all the way better to implement the old PBX boxes straight away, no software, no integration and the very good old known conventional way that serves the purpose very well with just handsets.

SKJoy2001 said:
However, to be honest, in this case, as mine, if there is no way 3CX can attach to a physical phone line without depending on a 3rd party VoIP gateway, the total idea is just impractical for a real life solution.

It may be impractical in your particular situation, given a limited budget, but the reality is that to connect to the "outside" world, you require a compatible SIP gateway, or, high speed internet and a VoIP

SKJoy2001 said:
I am trying to implement this in a small hospital, where they will have extensions to cabins, reception and a few others. The only thing they need more is, even if a single channel/line, a way to receive real phone (GSM) calls from out side, and the other way. And there is no INTERNET involved here.
provider.

To provide extensions in the cabins will require either ATA's, for connecting real (analogue) phones, or 3Cx phone running on laptops or Mobile phones (requiring a Wifi network).

SKJoy2001 said:
Now that if they need to purchase another piece of expensive hardware, purchase 3rd party VoIP services with a regular expense, it is all the way better to implement the old PBX boxes straight away, no software, no integration and the very good old known conventional way that serves the purpose very well with just handsets.

In some situations, where a gateway is considered to be too expensive, then it may be advisable to stick with an older PBX, if it gets the job done. If ongoing maintenance costs with the existing equipment prove to be an issue, then it would make sense to spend some money and implement 3CX, bringing with it a lot of additional features.

Yes your point of view is completely logical and I do understand, it is not that I oppose the benefits of 3CX Phone System (or like). In a nutshell, I was trying to establish the 3CX Phone System in a small hospital covered by a WiFi private network and I wanted to use cheap Android phones as the extension terminals/clients. Everything went fine, except that I see no way to provision a communication channel to a real world GSM phone to this 3CX Phone System and other options are invalid here as there will be no internet facilitated over this WiFi network, neither to the computer containing the 3CX Phone System software.

I have already contacted Oktell SIP-GSM software manufacturer, and fortunately they replied that they are thinking of resuming the development of that software to support more devices that are appearing in the market now a days. I look for the day when they practically come up with a up to date version of the software that will support devices like mine (Huawei E303 Voice modem) which are very commonly found. This will, at least I hope, enable 3CX Phone System (and like) to really attach to a physical phone line without having to be entangled with any 3rd party services and will make this total solution working out of the box, just like unpacking an old real PBX unit, attaching phone lines to it, connecting client cables and just powering on!

Again, thank you for all your time spent in explaining me the case and enlightening me.

Unfortunately the only way I can think to connect a 3CX trunk to a mobile phone network (and both involve some cost), is a VoIP gateway, GSM or otherwise, or, as FXS PSTN gateway connected to a bluetooth device designed to connect a PSTN line to a bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Depending on how much shopping around you are able to do, the second solution could be implemented for under $150 US.

If you are dealing with a VoIP PBX, one of the big savings is accomplished though the use of VoIP trunking, as there are no additional devices required and call costs are extremely low.. Without a high speed internet connection this advantage is lost.

I have already contacted Oktell SIP-GSM software manufacturer, and fortunately they replied that they are thinking of resuming the development of that software to support more devices that are appearing in the market now a days. I look for the day when they practically come up with a up to date version of the software that will support devices like mine (Huawei E303 Voice modem) which are very commonly found.
And now they no longer exist?:(

uqk3ghdk1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.