How do I set-up remote extensions?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Jonners59, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Sorry, this may be a silly request for help, but I am not a techie and I have looked at a number of threads and tried playing about, but I JUST CAN'T get this to work!

I am trying to set up some extensions from outside our LAN. I.e. My mother-in-law's house in Italy, my mobile and my laptop for when I work away from home.

I have a Draytek : Vigor2820Vn, Firmware Version : 3.3.3_RC5b, ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Hardware: Annex A as the gateway between LAN and Internet/broadband
    I have a fixed IP address (call it IP A) on the Broadband
    I have port redirects turned on:
    5. 3CX 5060 192.168.1.51 v
    6. SIP Voice 9000 - 9049 192.168.1.51 - 100 v
    7. Voip Tunnel 5090 192.168.1.51 v
    8. Voip Tunnel 5090 192.168.1.51 v
    9. 3CX 5060 192.168.1.51 v

3CX set-up on a server with fixed IP address (call it IP B, though you probably gathered it is 192.168.1.51)

Within the 3CX server I have added the external IP (IP A) where it asks in VPN and during installation.... I am on the latest version of 3CX 9.0..

My mobile Phone is an HTC Touch Pro2 on the UK Vodafone network - I have also asked, and pay £10 extra per month to be allowed SIP calls. I can use WM6.5 or Android, though I am tending to use Android more often. I have the 3CX client and SipDroid (suggested in another thread). The settings are:
    Authorisation UN & PW as per extension settings
    Server Domain. I have tried IP A and IP B
    Domain: I have tried IP A and IP B
    Port: 5060
    Protocol UDP

Desktops - wouldn't know where to start.... though the laptop for general use I shall probably use through my mobile 3G connectivity, though some times I am given access to the Internet via a broadband - depends on the client.
    The Laptop at the-mother-in-laws I have yet to set-up, but shall be via a broadband service.

I use Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) as my OS throughout, not that that should make any difference.

Any helpers who can talk me through this idiot style and with the patience of a saint??!?!?!?! http://www.3cx.com/forums/posting.php?mode=post&f=1#

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. haywardi

Hi,

I'll try and help based on my own experience.

I had terrible trouble setting up remote extensions (see separate post recently), had lots of suggestions around my fire wall and there was one article I was pointed towards that actually showed all the settings on the 2820! Worth a look at if its a fire wall problem.

HOWEVER, I notice you use a 2820Vn, the important bit being the V! This means you have voice capabilities built in. It is possible as it was in my case that the 2820 is intercepting the sip messages for port 5060 and directing them to itself and NOT allowing them to reach the 3CX PBX. Not knowing the particular model you use personally, can you check to see if its intercepting the port 5060 messages? It'll be in setting somewhere (I found it in SIP PROXY settings) and changed it to port 6060 (no logic just any number to get it away from 5060). Within seconds my remote extensions came on line.
    Iain

3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Your server domain will be your public IP. That plus the port, plus port forwarding should get through to the SIP Server. I'm glad someone else recognises that your router has inbuilt SIP. That can cause issues as it will try to intercept messages meant for 3CX. You can probably get way with something above 5065.

Get one device "working", what I mean is, get a device to at lease show a registration attempt in the 3CX logs. This way you at least know that messages are getting through your router. After that it s a matter of tweaking settings and troubleshooting. Just take small steps.

4. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at these over the Weekend and get back. I use the router's FXO/FXS as an ATA device for my Fax/Printer. It sits as an extension on the 3CX. Works great..... Anyway, as it may be causing a prob with registration I will look into the port numbering! :lol:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you already make use of ATA/Gateway ports on your router then there may be more than just conflicts with the 5000 series ports. Some of the voice posts may also be affected.

6. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

No. Did not work..... It says could not register.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The device trying to register says it can't, but, what does the 3CX log show? Does it show an attempt? If not, then concentrate on why it isn't getting through. Make sure 3CX is set to look for registration attempts on another port and that port os forwarded to the 3CX IP.

It may well be that no matter how hard you try it won't work with that router. I'm going to assume that the router has a modem built in. If it doesn't then you could try another router.

8. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

OK.
    The registering just says failed or Not Registered in the 3CX client on the phopne and the SipDroid client Registration failed (timeout). """ Note this is using the Android OS on the phone. I have not tried using 3CX on the WM 6.5.... Maybe I should try that out too.

The 3CX log shows nothing, but I did get this in one line, but I think it only refers to the STUN server.

[*]09:34:11.455 [CM506001]: STUN request to resolve SIP external IP:port mapping is sent to STUN server 96.9.132.83:3478 over Transport 192.168.1.51:5060[*]

OK, how and where do I look in the 3CX for this, please?

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I don't have access to my system at the moment so I'm going from memory...in the advanced settings (somewhere) you will find the 5060 port set as the default port number that 3CX listens on, unless you have changed that already. Since your router has an ATA built in it is probably intercepting SIP messaging on that port, and perhaps 5061 as well, change that to 5069, or something like that. Then forward the port you choose, to the 3CX IP. See if you then get a registration attempt showing up in the logs. Make sure that you change the port that you are registering to, in your SIP devices as well.

10. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Thanks
    It is in"Settings", "Networks" and is the first tab, "Ports"

"Set this to the SIP port that the 3CX Phone System will receive calls on (default 5060)"
    I changed it to 5069 as stated. Updated the main phones, checked the FXO (didn't need changing) and updated the port forwarding on the Router.... Will try the handset later and feed back

OK.... I tried. It did not work, then when I got back home I found that nothing was working. The main handsets were registered but calls would not go in or out, so I reverted back.

Would it be worth taking this a stage at a time. If I show what settings I have - IP addresses and login details blanked for security, would that be better????

11. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Still not working, but I do not know how, but I found the following in the log and the registered phones... Not been able to reproduce. At the time I was logged on via WiFi.... Note the port number???? On the phone profile it is 5060.

[*]20:23:33.548 Currently active calls [none]

20:23:03.141 Currently active calls [none]

20:22:58.484 Subscr. terminated for from MAC%3a00237652A2F2@provisioning.3cx.com

20:22:58.484 New SIP device is on-line: MAC:00237652A2F2; ip=192.168.1.71; contact=sip:192.168.1.71:5070

20:22:58.452 [CM302001]: Authorization system can not identify source of: SipReq: SUBSCRIBE MAC%3a00237652A2F2@provisioning.3cx.com tid=-3670097143 cseq=SUBSCRIBE contact=192.168.1.71:5070 / 1 from(wire)

20:22:33.085 Currently active calls [none]

20:22:03.023 Currently active calls [none]

20:21:58.815 Subscr. terminated for from MAC%3a00237652A2F2@provisioning.3cx.com

20:21:58.815 New SIP device is on-line: MAC:00237652A2F2; ip=192.168.1.71; contact=sip:192.168.1.71:5070

20:21:58.583 [CM302001]: Authorization system can not identify source of: SipReq: SUBSCRIBE MAC%3a00237652A2F2@provisioning.3cx.com tid=-3129702134 cseq=SUBSCRIBE contact=192.168.1.71:5070 / 1 from(wire)

20:21:32.967 Currently active calls [none]

Attached Files:

12. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

OK seems to work via WiFi now.... But not remote PC/Laptop on DSL or as current testing on my mobile (and yes, I have spoken to my airtime provider, VoIP is activated - costing me £10/month).

Any ideas, please?????? :roll:

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well getting something to work, is a great start. I see some auto provisioning logs. Did you not set up the extensions manually? The auto provision may be overriding the changes you had made (port numbers?) to overcome the possible conflicts with the ATA in your router. Are you using any SIP phones other than the mobile or PC based softphones? Is the Android phone, on wifi, working just on your local LAN, or will it work (on wifi), at a hotspot. If it won't, then you probably still have issues with port conflicts/setting in your router and that is probably why it also won't work using 3G.

If you end up pulling all of your hair out, and the problem points to your router, if you can (and your DSL provider allows), perhaps you can borrow a second router (one without an ATA). If the modem is built into the router, you may not be able to do this. and.....If your provider only allows you one public IP, then this won't work. But, what you might try is.... modem-->switch--> two routers (one your current model and one a new router). As I said, this requires your provider to allow you to have two public IP's., one for each router. This setup would allow you to use the second router just for 3CX with no conflicts with the ATA on the other router.

14. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

Oooh lots of questions!!!

See if I can answer them.
    Yes, manually. The Android just appeared out of no-where. It had a funny username and PW too, but it seems to have changed all that and is now reporting on the extension I have it logged in to, but ONLY via the WiFi on our LAN

I have a Siemens Gigaset DECT phone which is working fine. It is our main use of the system. Does that count? Otherwise, no.

Not tried a Hotspot, so can't comment. I guess what I should start doing is adding more parameters to the account that is working to see if it will log on via the site IP address (Public). I guess that would be a stage at a time approach.

I don't have any anyway!!!!!

PS: added - FYI: I tried adding the External (public) IP address to the Android client and it could not register. Have put it back again.

15. Jonners59

Jonners59 New Member

I also tried to access from a remote location (Italy) using the VPN I had set up. It stated that it could not register because it was not allowed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.