How do you guys handle faxing with 3CX?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ingram, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ingram

How do you normally use a fax machine with 3CX and a SIP Trunk? The only information I could find was this article about a Patton M-ATA device. We ordered one and couldn't get it to work correctly. Is this the only method to send and receive faxes with 3CX, using a real fax machine (not an online faxing service)?

I'm sure this is a common question, but I can't find an answer.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Using a VoIP provider that supports t.38, along with an ATA that also supports t.38 as well as a fax machine that happens to work (some are better than others), is your best bet. Many users don't bother running a fax machine though 3CX and instead have it share the analogue phone line on the DSL, that can also be used (outgoing) for emergency calls (via a gateway) in the event of an ISP/VoIP provider failure. I have managed to use an SPA-2102, though 3CX ,out on a SPA-3102 gateway.

Everything must support, and be configured to use t.38.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/T.38

3. jpillow

jpillow Well-Known Member

We usually go with an ITSP that delivers their sip trunks via an IAD and hand off one call path as an analog line.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bardissi

bardissi Member

We dont use fax through the 3CX pbx.

We use audio codes devices and do fax via https.

If you want to learn me feel free to reach out.

5. GManNAtl

As stated above a provider that supports T38 is a MUST. If you don't have this, likely no ATA device will work. I use the built in fax server with good results on NexVortex. It will still occasionally fail on a small percentage of faxes.

Otherwise just have a plain jane POTs line for a backup as others have suggested.

6. 12494

12494 Member

I don't know if I would try this on a large volume site - however I have used it in small volume and it works fine when there is no analog line available.

THere is a group of devices from OBIHAI.com. I've got the Obi100 - I think it cost around $40. You can connect this to a free Google Voice account to get inbound and outbound faxing over IP.

Regards,
    Allen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

For inbound obviously any good SIP provider supporting T38 will do. We have a very high success rate with that on our trunks.
    For outbound, we use the Grandstream HT701 registered directly to one of our SIP trunk subaccounts supporting T38 or ULaw (g711u) pass trough with no trouble. Virtually all of our installations are this way.

8. MarkWim

Hey Sigma,

Thank you. Our 3CX system was installed 3 weeks ago and the fax never worked for sending and most of the times it failed receiving. We used one of the sip trunk companies listed and they were no help. We already had the ht701 adapters so I called you guys up. Wayne helped us out and he setup a free trunk and two of the five ht701 we have. It ran without a hitch all day and I couldn't believe my ears when your tech told us it was free and we even had a ten dollar credit on the trunk. I will be porting our service to you but please let Wayne know that he represented the company very well.

MW

9. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Mark you are most welcome. Wayne is a terrific engineer and I am glad he was able to help.

10. ps851112

We are new to 3cx, just setup and still working through some issues. I do have faxing working with a Patton SN4118. We sell copiers/fax machines and have been dealing with FOIP for years at our customers. My experience is a good T38 provider is required, a good internet connection with low latency and jitter; also disabling T34, downgrade to 14.4 or lower speeds, and turn off ecm on your fax machine is a must. After using the default SN4118 setup option in 3cx and configuring our fax machines with the earlier described settings we have 99% success rate with Sotel. Most high end the fax machines will allow you to modify these settings, but this usually requires an authorized service provider to get these settings changed. I've gotten Brother, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Sharp, Toshiba to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.