How Implement Network Outage Message

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by DBPlus2, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBPlus2

3CX Ver 11.0.27011.711

We offer cloud applications... There could be times when we have to do maintenance or have networking outages which could bring these service off line. We need a way to temporarily add a new additional greeting announcement for inbound calls on the fly.

I thought about creating and permanently adding a Emergency.wav file that is very short and has no message. And then when these rare moments occur, we could over write the Emergency.wav with the a wav file with the correct message announcement. However, this will not work because there is a lock on the wav file.

I am not sure how else to implement this...

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

David

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It would depend on how you currently have incoming calls routed. If you sent calls to a DR that immediately then sent calls onto a queue, or ring group, without any intervention from the caller, you could have an initial recording that consisted of one or a couple of bursts of ring-back tone (or even a second of silence). That recording could be replaced, as needed, with the "system down" announcement.

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

but a network outage would mean the server isn't even connected to the trunk - right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DBPlus2

The inbound calls go directly into DR...
    In the "Queue" I see the "Enable intro Prompt". Are you suggesting I assign a short silent wav file. And then when needed replace it with "System Down" message?

I have tried to replace wav files in the past but 3CX had a file lock on any wav files that were referenced in the system. I will try it again.

Or are you suggesting something else which I have not grasped?

BTW... Our cloud applications are hosted else where on the internet... So, the phones most likely would work.

Thanks for you fast response!

5. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

Is there any way you can work with your carrier to have a fall-back if your service goes off-line (I'm assuming SIP Trunks???) - with that fall-back number being connected to some other telephony service with voice-mail or a queue???

[Tho' this is a bit confusing, as if the phones keep working - where does the problem come in???]

best regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I think he means that they actually host applications for others that has nothing to do with 3CX other than when the applications are down for whatever reason - maintenance, crash, particular server down, etc., that clients calll in wanting to know what/why they can no longer use. Rather than having to manually field the calls about the issue, he is looking for a way to modify the IVR somewhat on the fly so that callers can be advised that they know of the issue and are working to resolve.

One way might be to create a phantom extension. Label it as current status and have it is an option in the IVR. As it will never be registered, you can have the rules send it to VMAIL. You can then change the VMAIL greeting on the fly, and even remotely, to indicate whatever you want. You could even set up multiple phantoms to accommodate say regional areas or by the application, server name, etc.

If you need more Phantoms than your existing IVR can suppoprt, then create the "current status" option on the initial IVR,which then points to another IVR from which the clients can then select from the various options (phantom extensions with associated VMAIL) that is applicable to their case.

7. DBPlus2

Thanks for your ideas.... very helpful.

Is there way to make a VM box not allow messages being left? I would like the caller to hear the message but not have the option to leave a VM message.

Additionally, I would like to offer the caller the option to be redirected back to a Digital Assistant. I found that while listening to the VM greeting one can press the * key, and then be redirected to the default operator extension. Is there a way to redirect that instead to the Digital Assistant extension? It would be nice if the caller would not have to hang up and dial back in order to get back in to the phone menu system to select other options.

Thanks again,

David

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Callers do not need to be informed that they can leave a message.

If you don't actually use an operator, then that extension number can be forwarded to a DR. Unfortunately, there is only that one option from voicemail. Sending callers to a rarely used DR, would offer more options, for the caller, after hearing a message.

9. DBPlus2

Yes... I understand what you are saying....

Here is the trouble I am having...

We have two separate call menu trees. Office Hours and Non-Office hours.
    I could have * operator route to a DR... However, the question is which set? Office or Non-Office menu hours.

If the call arrives during business hours then the * operator should route to Office DR, which then gives them Live Technician choices.

If the call arrives in the evening hours then the * operator should route to Non-Office DR. (which will page the evening tech support persons)

Seeing how DR does not offer routing based on time of day... I am stuck as no matter which DR I default the * operator to.. it will be wrong some of the time.

The only solution I can think of is to tell the caller to hang up and dial back in again.

It is an interesting problem, which I can't seem to find a solution for...

Again thanks...

10. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Am cunfused now. When did an operator enter the scenario? Before, you indicated that all call were routed directly to DR.

You can direct to different DR based upon office hours.

11. DBPlus2

Sorry if I am using the wrong term...

As I understand the concept (and I could be wrong)

Between 9:30 am and 5:30 pm a caller is direct to a Office Hours DR
    Between 5:31 pm and 10:00 pm a caller is direct to a different (Non Office Hours) DR

At which point....
    Caller reaches a DR with an selection option "Press 3 for List of Current Service Outages"
    Caller select 3 and is directed to the Outage Ext's VM
    Caller listens to the VM greeting message regarding Current Outages...
    And the caller then presses * and is redirected to the default operator.
    In this case, I have changed the default operator to be a DR so that the caller can continue making additional choices.

The issue I am having is which DR to used, Office Hours or Non Office hours.
    If Office Hours DR is used and the call came in during Non Office hours, there would be no LIVE technicians to answer the call
    If Non Office hours DR is used and the call came in Office Hours, there would be no one on evening support to answer the pager

I can imagine way to redirect the caller back into the DR based on time of day.

Thanks...

12. rbc94

It would be easier to create an additional DR that plays the outage message with no options and then times out to either hang up or re-direct to another DR.

13. DBPlus2

Understand...
    Thanks for all your input...

David

14. DBPlus2

I thought I should post what I did and what I may still do to solve this issue....

I implemented a batch file on the server which would replace the Digital Receptionist message with one with a generic outage message + the standard menu options message. When outage is over, we copy back the original standard menu option message. Crude but works...

I did come across another option which I declined to implement for now... There is third part program called "Junction". It allows you to spoof the OS file system into thinking that it is saving a file in one folder but actually the file is being saved in another. Windows OS does this all the time and hides it from us. An example are "libraries". You save a file in a library and it is actually stored in some other folder.

So this is how it would work...

You would create a VM ext called "Outage".
    Using the "Junction" application, you would spoof the OS so that the actual VM Outage greeting message is stored in 3CX Ivr\Prompts folder.
    Next record a silent greeting of a second or two for the Outage VM.
    It's greeting file name would be SaveVMGreeting.wav and is now saved in the Ivr\Prompts folder

You would then insert into your call routing tree a Outage Digital Assistant whose message is assigned to the SaveVMGreeting.wav. A incoming call now would hit this, hear a silence for a second or so and the continue on to the next step in the tree.

When an outage occurs, one can then call in and record a new VM outage greeting which would then be accessed by the Digital Receptionist. Incoming calls now get to hear the outage message as they traverse the call tree. When the outage is over, record a new greeting that is silent.

Notes:

This is all theoretical. I have not personally tested this. However, I have read others implementing this.

You have to make sure you always have current backup of the Ivr\Prompts folder. For is anyone deletes the Outage VM ext, the OS will delete this VM data folder... and remember, we tricked the OS to believe that the Ivr\Prompt folder is it. Therefore, the os will delete the Prompt folder and you will loose all your greetings...

15. gmcda

I know this thread is quite old, but is there a better solution for this yet? We have an IVR that needs to be changed every morning with the daily schedule and I don't want to give the operators access to the admin panel. So I think we will need to use Junction to mirror a mailbox greeting since they can easily record a new one from the handset every day.

Unless someone else has other ideas? It would be helpful if 3CX would add an method to control IVRs without using the admin panel, such as with mailboxes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.