how much free memory does android app need in V14.

Discussion in 'Android' started by gotvoip, Feb 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotvoip

Hi, I have a mini nano android phone running android 4.4.2 with 16.66MB of free storage and when I go to install the app it downloads and starts installing and then says Error insufficient Storage available. I will have to remove core components next and trying to figure out how much more memory it needs to be able to successfully install. The android app file size is only 2.2meg. Any ideas? Thanks,Kevin

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

My phone reports the App (ver 14) using 6.86 Mb. Version 12 uses 7.17Mb, and version 11 , 4.88Mb. There could be additional memory required when the App is active, or during installation.

3. gotvoip

It seems that it needs more than 16.66mb to install and I am just trying to figure out how much in order to determine if I can use this phone or not.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Does your phone allow you to move (and run) applications to the SD card? If so, that would clear out some internal memory.

5. gotvoip

unfortunately it doesn't. It is a very basic no frills phone that I just wanted to load the 3cx softphone on and use it for nurses in elderly facilities to compete with something like vocera has. I will try to see what else I can delete but the things I can delete are very small and the big things are like google play that I may need later. I know in the past when I had a kyocera with a flash card it would not let me run too many applications from it. It was mostly for pictures and videos but I don't have that option to try it. It does have two sim card slots! Thanks for the suggestion. I am assuming the 2.2 meg application must be compressed and need more than 16.66 to install then it shrinks down to 8 meg to run.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You could try deleting a large app that can be easily re-loaded from Google Play, later. If you are in the US, there are a number of (around) $10, pay-as-you go, Android handsets offered from time to time by mobile providers. Even if they can't be rooted, or unlocked, they do make good Wifi only units.

7. gotvoip

This phone is tiny and ruggardized which is perfect for nursing staff. There must be some algorithm on how much free memory an application needs to install. Not sure if it is specific to android or the 3cxphone app.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm sure that every Android App is different in it's memory requirements for installation. Perhaps someone can comment on how much is required for the phone App.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.