How to block an internal extension from an external call?...

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Versimedia, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Versimedia

We have an extension in our office that we only want people internally to be able to call, but we don't want anyone externally to reach..

For example, we may have extension 500 internally that we want everyones in-house phone to be able to reach, however if someone calls our public phone # and reaches our auto-attendant, we want extension 500 to fail and not work.

We can't seem to find a way to do this -- there is an option regarding external calls on an extension but that does not seem to work in this situation.

Any ideas?

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Re: How to block an internal extension from an external call

You can block and extension from calling externally / outbound... I think that is the tick box you see.

Not sure about this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Versimedia

Yes we need a way to do the opposite, block an outside call from accessing an internal extension. It's a security issue in this case.

4. craigreilly

Agreed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The only place that I've seen, to deal differently with internal and external calls, is in the call forward options of the extension. I'm wondering if (and this would only work if the extension did not have access to voicemail), you set the extension as "Away". Internally select to ring the extension (I'm not sure if that will override the away status), set external calls to go right to voicemail. The voicemail would have to have a message such as "You've dialled an incorrect number", or something to that effect.

6. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

You can go to the advanced settings and custom parameters and then for the setting IVRDONOTCALL. You can then insert the extension number(s) and/or ranges that you do not want the IVR to forward calls to. This setting is applicable to all IVRs.

This addresses your scenario, but I do not consider it foolproof as a caller can always call in and get an answer at another extension and then claim that they must have accidentally hit the wrong number, so could they forward the call to 500 as a favor? Everyone in the Org will need to understand what to do ....or not.

7. Versimedia

I went to this menu option and entered two extension with a comma between on the custom parameter you mentioned.

I restarted the "3cx service" afterwards, but when I call our auto-attendant and type the extension # it still allows it to go through.

8. lneblett

Hmm, you seem to be correct as I just tested it as well. Let me submit a ticket and see what the 3CX team indicates.

9. AndreasP_3CX

AndreasP_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

"You can go to the advanced settings and custom parameters and then for the setting IVRDONOTCALL. You can then insert the extension number(s) and/or ranges that you do not want the IVR to forward calls to. This setting is applicable to all IVRs." this setting only works internally for example if i set this to 104 then if i call from 102 to the ivr and then type 104 to forward the call to extension 104 the ivr will not forward it.

the best way to do what you want is using the exceptions in the extension properties like leejor suggested

10. lneblett

I have submitted the ticket with support and we have been discussing the parameter since yesterday.

Anrdea_P -

I have tried your scenario as well and it too does not work. I input 200 in the value field for IVRDONOTCALL. I restarted all services. I then used an internal extension and then dial the IVR directly (800) and allow the it to answer whereupon I input "200" and I still get transferred. The logic as you have described seems somewhat convoluted. It is not clear to me under what circumstances I might go to an IVR to access an extension that I already know and can dial directly.....without the need for an IVR. Maybe I missed something, can you explain?

In any event, 3CX support is looking into it. They seemingly agree that the intent is as the description indicates, which is to block an extension from being contacted through an IVR, regardless of the IVR and if the call is internally or externally originated.

I hesitate to call it a bug as it is not a documented feature per se, but I am pretty sure that they will take a closer look and come back with a response.

11. craigreilly

Seems like the person, if they knew the extension for paging, could call into the IVR, dial the paging extension and wreak havoc... atleast by playing some loud music or something :) yes?

12. Versimedia

So after trying the free service, we paid the $900 or so for a license for our business. We are a tech company so have done our own support through these boards. As someone else confirm what we found the IVR_ option for blocking extensions does not seem to work (either internally or externally).

So I get an unprompted email from 3CX (probably due to our license purchase) with the question:

"Can I help you with your 3CX installation or answer any questions?"

I figure this is a perfect time to let them know there may be a bug with this option. I let them know that I tried self-support and someone else reported the option did not seem to work either.

I was told to purchase a support contract or go through our provider to report the problem as people without contracts cannot receive support. I indicated I didn't consider this support, just reporting a potential bug. I was again told the same thing... I asked if I paid for support and it was found to be a legitimate bug would I receive my support contract back, they said sorry no refunds.

It would seem that if there was potentially a bug (with verification from others), they would at least say they would look into the issue and report back -- and if they found it was indeed working fine and I needed support, then let me know.

Not to mention they did contact me with the line "Can I help you with your 3CX installation or answer any questions?" -- apparently they were just trying to sell support contracts and not actually wanting to help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.