How to call forward on busy HELP!

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by invisage, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invisage

How to forward an external VOIP call on busy with 3CX?
    E.g. we have 3 VIOP lines, when the 1st is busy we want the external call to be forwarded to the next available line.

My VIOP provider tells me this need to be done by our IP PBX software or VOIP box hardware.

I have found the forward features/options for extensions but just can’t work it out for incoming external voip calls.

Any advice is appreciated!!!

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Now this is something your VOIP provider should do. If your external line is busy, then only the telco provider can forward it to another line.

If you are talking forwarding on busy in regards to an extension, then you can configure this from extension options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. invisage

Thanks for the reply. Subsequently considering your advice, I again contacted our SIP VIOP provider and told them it should be done on their side. They are adamant that the routing should be done via our IP PBX as they have customers that are doing it with Asterisk. I also did contact an alternate SIP VIOP line provider who also confirmed this; as a function that needs to be set in our IP PBX. Now I am very confused, is it possible that Asterisk could do this and 3CX cant?

Perhaps I didn’t explain the problem correctly in my 1st post. We have a toll free 1300 number and 3 SIPS lines. When an external call comes through from the 1300 number it needs to be routed to any of the 3 free SIP lines and avoid the busy ones. How is this done?

4. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Correct me if I'm wrong: you want to route calls from PSTN line to VoIP lines?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. coelhopsi

Which direction are you trying to re-route the call? From inside to outside? Or from outside to inside? If it's really from outside to inside, as I have understood, I also believe it should be done by the VoIP provider...

6. invisage

The phone calls to our 1300 number are coming from the public phone network to our Voip lines via our Voip line provider.

Our 1300 number is hosted by the same Voip company that provide us the 3 sip Voip lines. All lines are Voip.

I think logically the routing needs to be done before the calls are forwarded to these lines.

So I guess the question is.
    1. Is it possible for IP PBX software on our side to do this?
    2. Or should the VoIP line provider do this before the call comes to our PBX server?

I have no problems with the forwarding of internal extensions etc

7. Philco

Philco Member

I think I've sussed what your after. You presently have 3 voip lines (sip accounts) which carries the calls to your premises and do I take it that all the phones ring at the moment on an in coming call? You want the calls to go to the next free extension.

Providing your VOIP provider allows mulitple calls on a single sip account (which they usually do) then all you need is 3 CX to do the call handling via its extension busy configuration. That is, you have one single VOIP account with your provider and he sends all the calls to your 3cx server until all your extesnsions are busy when 3cx server will reject any further calls..

Of course theres nothing stopping you (appart from bandwidth) from having a second voip account and doing the same with a second set of extensions too.

This is nothing out of the ordinary.

Phil

8. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Who is the provider under question?

If this provider provides the basic functionality that nearly all providers out there handle, then each Voip Account can handle a number of simultaneous calls. Imagine a VOIP TRUNK - Normally they can handle 10 simultaneous calls/account.
    This means that you will encounter a BUSY only when you have 10 simultaneous calls already active on each account and you try to make the 11th which the provider will reject. Also given that the Provider line in 3CX is forwarding to a Digital Rec.

If the accounts are forwarded to an extension, then you have to modify extension settings in the 3CX.
    a) Busy Tab - Use Phone status. If you have a SNOM for example as the final destination, you can receive all calls on the same phone.
    b) If you leave Busy - Use PBX status, then you can forward the call based on the extension settings you set on that extension. See available options for Busy. You can also forward to an outside number which can utilise the other voip account thus connecting 1 account to another. Remember to include the outbound rule for this.

Also - many VP have a website interface where you can log in to for example to check your credit status, some enable you to Spoof your Caller ID for example, others have Voicemail settings, others have Network settings where you bind your Public IP address to the account. But All have some sort of forwarding features and you can also set the Busy status settings from the provider's interface. Many enable you to control the number of simultaneous calls each account can accept. Note: The moment you modify any routing options in this area, you will be lifting the routing responsibility Off 3CX and giving it all to the Provider. Then it is up to the provider to satisfy demands.

9. invisage

Thanks all for the help. I feel like a fool! Sip lines support multiple uses at the same time, only limited by band width or extensions. I guess I am showing my age and analogue mind set. I assumed 1 line 1 user at a time. Sorry!

10. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

No problem. What is the provider you are using? Just for curiosity.. If it works with 3CX and it is not supported it will be a good idea to include it in the Forum post related to 3CX VOIP Providers.

This section of the forum includes posts from 3CX Community users who test various providers even those that are as yet unsupported by 3CX. Then they post their findings and opinions about the provider. Even if you have any problems, you may find help there from someone that may be already using your same provider.

Regards

11. invisage

Provider is http://www.gotalk.com.au. Great value standard Business account includes 700 local, 700 national and 200min to mobiles @ $32.95 month

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.