How to configure 3CX with SPA-3102 and Cisco 7911g phones

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by evandropaes, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evandropaes

Hello all,

We are new to 3CX (and VoIP in general) and we are running some tests in order to define whether or not to adopt VoIP solutions in our company and well as in our customers. We have installed 3CX in a Windows 2008 R2 Server running in a VM (running as guest in VMware Workstation 7). We have also acquired a PSTN gateway (SPA-3102 from Linksys) and we have several Cisco IP Phones (mainly 7911g and 7962g). We are having difficulties in configuring the phones (they are not able to register with 3CX).

We would appreciate any help in getting this scenario to work. We have tried to find documentation about the subject without success.

Thanks in advance.

Evandro Reis

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Re: How to configure 3CX with SPA-3102 and Cisco 7911g phone

I recommend you send the phones back and get supported phones.

These phones do not come out of the box to support SIP. They can be converted but by the time you go through the pain it was easier, cheaper and better to get a SIP Standards compliant phone and preferably one supported by 3cx so provisioning can be done through the templates.

The phones you purchased are designed to work with cisco unified comms out of the box.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mobidutch

You'll first need to flash your phone to a SIP firmware image, and then set up a TFTP service to feed your phone an XML config file. See this post for instructions on the config file.

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

The OP said he was new to VOIP. I agree he can do those steps that you suggested but I think he would be better off returning his new phones (I assume they are newly purchased) and getting Aastra, Polycom or Grandstream which work great out of the box.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. evandropaes

Thank you for your prompt response. We are new to VoIP but we do have a good technical background. We already have a TFTP server running for other purposes, so we will give it a try. Returning the phones is not an option, unfortunately.

6. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Great!

Get the sip firmware but be careful as Cisco have a habit of charging for firmware lately and also are locking some of their phones down to only work with their system.

Dont forget that 3cx is open standards (not to be confused with open source) and so any phone will work. I would plan for a long term switch out of phones to more of the supported ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.