How to configure Debian/3cx to be headless

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by blollo, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blollo

I have installed the Debian 3cx system and it works well. However, I have moved the Server, and NOT installed a Keyboard or Mouse or Monitor. This is my preferred configuration.
    Once I have turned it back on, and waited for a couple of minutes (enough for it to reboot), I cannot ping it. I put a screen on it, and a keyboard on it, and it boots up fine. Obviously I can ping it now, and 3cx works fine again.

So my question is:
    How can I configure Debian to work headless (without the Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse) ?
    Thanks in advance.

2. tvdir

No monitor/keyboard/mouse is needed for 3cx to work. I'm running 3CX Debian on a headless Intel NUC, which works perfectly.

Check the network connection, or check your BIOS settings as some old computers do not boot without keyboard connected unless you enable this option in BIOS.

smario likes this.
  3. jem1

Definitely check the BIOS settings. Some workstations will not boot without a keyboard attached, I've seen some with onboard video that won't post without a monitor connected. Any actual server hardware is designed to be headless, but some workstations can vary.

Debian / Linux / UNIX / And even Windows can be run headless, it comes down to hardware.

4. aPuppy

One other item to check is to make sure that Grub/Grub2 is set to boot in console mode.
    For Debian in /etc/default/grub set:

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
    GRUB_TERMINAL=console

I've had a couple of NUC systems that will not boot headless without this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.